September 2, 2008

Jet Lagged In London


I arrived at London's Heathrow airport at 6:30 am yesterday morning. The flight was a breeze. On my way over I sat next to a couple of 21 year old Irish Lads who had spent the summer working in San Diego, California. They had enthusiastically embraced the the California surf culture and had it not been for their thick Irish accents I would have thought they were surfer dudes. As it turns out, they do surf ! However, they informed me that the only surfing in Dublin is from ferry wakes. While surfers elsewhere follow wind, storms and tides. The surfers in Dublin follow ferry schedules.
After fetching my pack and dealing with a particularly inquisitive customs officer, I hopped on the tube (subway) at Heathrow and got off at Picadilly Circus. From there I made way to my friends workplace and dropped off my pack for the day. Since this is my first time in London there's alot to see and the best way to fight off a case of Jet Lag is exercise and a couple of cups of tea. London is an excellent city for walking and walk I did ! My all day walk included Tower Bridge, St. Pauls Cathedral, Royal Courts of Justice, Buckingham Palace, Parliament, Big Ben, The Thames etc. etc.... London is very expensive so I passed on the $20 - $25 entrance fee required to get into many of the sites. There's plenty to see just walking around outside.
I'm staying with friends, Susan and Holger, who are from Germany but live in London. I met them last winter during a 3 1/2 day ferry ride thru the Patagonia channels of Chile. Holger fixed an excellent dinner last night which we washed down with good German beer. I went to sleep around 11 pm. Needless to say, I had no trouble sleeping................

3 comments:

James said...

wow! It's going to be great. I look forward to reading more as am hoping to walk this route next year. When do you head off to France?

Neeraj Rohilla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Neeraj Rohilla said...

Awesome, enjoy the London as we run in Houston's heat and humidity :-)

Have a great trip.