August 30, 2008

Camino de Santiago - On My Way



I'm on my way ! First I'll fly to London for a couple of days before flying to Biarritz, France. Once in France I'll take a short train ride to St. Jean Pied de Port where I'll start. After a night in St. Jean I'll begin the walk. I've been debating what to take and not to take. Due to frequent hostels and albergues along the camino it's possible to walk the entire camino with very little. I've decided to stick with my traditional way of doing things so my pack will be a little heavier than it really needs to be. I'll be carrying the basic necessities as well as a lightweight tent and basic minimal camping gear. This will allow for ultimate flexibility. I'll mostly stay at albergues. Recent reports of bed bugs at some of the albergues gives me more incentive to carry a tent. Some albergues allow camping. For those who don't know, albergues are essentially the same as a hostel but many are designated for pilgrims only.

I have everything up to arriving in St. Jean planned but once I start walking I'll just let the experience happen. Mentally I'm anxious and ready to get on with it. I'm really looking forward to walking. My only concern right now is some discomfort in my right hip and low back. I've been dealing with a running injury for over a year and a half that's been causing problems of varying degrees. A recent MRI revealed nothing serious but I do have some bursitis in my right hip. It doesn't seem to bother me much at all when I walk but if I run, sit or stand still for long periods it can act up. I'm hoping this will not be an issue and that it will just kind of work itself out on the trip. While hiking in Colorado a month ago I had no problems at all. Perhaps I'll absorb some of the healing powers of the Camino !.... But first... It's off to London..... Cheerio !

1 comment:

Paolo said...

Goodluck! I've done both the camino francés and Camino Portugués.

Buen Camino