September 8, 2008

Villamayor de Monjardin - Big Bad Wolf ?

Today is a day I will dedicate to the Big Bad Wolf ? Why ? Because he would have one heck of time blowing anything down in Spain. Most of the buildings are old if not ancient. Built with large stone blocks. The doors are made of wood that´s at least 2 to 3 inches thick and attached with stong metal trim.  It seems like if a building is 200 or 300 years old, it´s not very old..... Tonight I am in Villamayor de Monjardin and am camped behind a church across from an albergue. It´s a very nice spot but a little windy. The church itself is hundreds of years old and is a conglomeration of Romanesque, Gothic, and Baroque architecture.... I was going to stay in Estella but prefer the smaller villages so I walked a little further today. Mas Tranquillo..... I met an older gentleman from Norway this evening. He´s quite old and his hearing is poor but he speaks decent english. He stayed in Puenta La Reina last night and meant to stop in Estella.  Somehow he walked right thru Estella without knowing it ! Estella is a relatively large bustling town. Not sure how he missed it. He even walked right pass the Albergue there. Anyway, He arrived ok and got checked into the Villamayor albergue after a healthy 20 mile walk. I think St. James is looking out for him. I sure he will be fine.....

No comments: