September 23, 2008

Lucky Man

So, What goes on in the mind of the self proclaimed, ¨World Traveler and Thinker¨, while walking the Camino? Just about everything and nothing. Today as I walked, the Elton John Song, ¨Levon¨, rolled around my head for hours.... I Intend to share a bit of my thoughts but first I´ll fill you in on the last couple of days. Yesterday I left Leon and planned to stay in Mazriffe but found the walking to be quick and easy despite clouds and rain so I continued further. I walked with Ave most of the day. She had some good stories. My favorite was her story of the summer she ran off with the Circus as a dancer. Not sure what I´ve mentioned about her but she´s from Estonia and attends University in Liverpool England. She´s a language major and speaks Spanish better than most Spaniards. During the afternoon we were suprised to catch up again with the Swiss gang of Mark, Micah, and Simon.  In the evening we all arrived together in the village of Hospital de Orbigo. The Swiss gang went one way looking for a camp ground and Ave and I went straight to an albergue. It was cold and rainy. At the Albergue we caught up to Petra and another Czech by the name of Anna. Petra and Anna fixed an incredible meal that included salad and pasta. They were very impressed that I was impressed so Petra jokingly asked if I wanted to marry them. Wow! I´ve never been proposed to before!... This morning I set out alone and met up with the Swiss gang that unknowingly stayed at an albergue right across the street from where the rest of us were! Today I walked with the Swiss until Astorga. In Astorga I contemplated staying at a hotel for a change but decided to push a little further later in the afternoon. The rain had cleared and it was sunny. I had a feeling that the albergue in Murias de Rechivaldo might have good camping. Right I am. Tonight I´m camped in a grassy back yard with young fruit trees. Very nice an peaceful.... Everyone else pushed on to El Ganso.......Ok, I find it ironic that I entitled this post lucky man when I just found out that I´ve lost my camino journal with notes. I was behind by a couple of days so I must have left it in Leon. Oh Well. Good thing I´ve been blogging !..... Anyway, a common thought that has been on mind while walking is how lucky I am. For me being lucky and being blessed are one and the same. Like anyone I´ve had my share of up´s and down´s, in´s and out´s, triumphs and dissapointments. No matter how things may have seemed, either good or bad, I´ve been lucky all along.  I can think of many dissapointments and let downs that actually led to greater things.  Sometimes the best lessons are learned out of adversity.  For the most part I think I´ve made pretty good choices througout life but even the bad choices have made me a better person for the lessons I´ve learned.  I guess you can say I´ve been especially grateful while walking the Camino. Not to mention, I feel extremely lucky and/or very blessed....

No comments: