September 6, 2008

Pamplona - Camino Life

Estoy bien en Pamplona !  I´m currently in Pamplona writing this entry as I sit in a ancient building that´s been converted into an Albergue for pilgrims.  It´s a nice place near the center of the city.  5 Euros gets you a shower and a decent bed along with plenty of company.  Tonight I´ll be bunking next to a couple of Japanese and several people from France.  It´s a very international crowd on the the Camino.  Today my walking partners were Martin from the Czech Republic and Francie from Montreal, Quebec.  Right now there are quite a few people on the Camino.  Some just for a few days while others for a few weeks. Most everyone who walks the Camino de Santiago treks between the months of April and October with July and August being the busiest.  So far I have´nt seen any large groups and don´t xpect to with the summer season being over.  There are a number of small groups with 2 to 4 and plenty of solo pilgrims like myself. So Far everyone I´ve meet has been quite nice......Pamplona is a beautiful medieval fortress city and a place I´ve always heard about so its really nice to be here. It´s a town made famous by the Running of the Bulls and the likes of Hemingway...... I Finally feel like I´m starting to shake the jet lag and adjust to the local time frame. I´m also finding my stride and routine for this trip. Just like most things it takes a little time to adjust. I feel good. Aside of the usual muscle aches that are to be expected at the start of a long hike, I can´t complain...... An average day begins with waking around 6:30 am and walking by 7:30 am. Alot of pilgrims start earlier. I prefer to get a more leisurely start and move at a comfortable pace. For me this trip is more about the Journey, not the destination. During the day I´ll take photos and stop at sights along the way.  After covering around 15 miles I finish in a village or the likes of one. I then get situated for the night, check out the local sights and nod off to bed around 9 pm.  This will be my day to day life for the next month. Everyday I meet new people and see new places. Ah Yes,,,, It´s a good life.... 

No comments: