September 11, 2008

Camino - Misc.

Now that I´ve been on the Camino for a week I can kind of fill you in on some misc. information. The camino itself is mostly all dirt paths or very quiet rural dirt roads that rarely see a vehicle. Naturally there´s paved road walking near the towns and small cities. Most of the paths are fairly wide but there´s also some narrower more traditional trails mixed in. Some sections are rocky but most of the time its relatively smooth. It´s just rugged enough where hiking boots are a better choice over lighter footwear. However, I´ve seen people hike in running shoes and teva sandals. Usually when people are walking in lighter footwear its because they´re having foot or boot problems.......Except for the first day out of St jean the terrain has been rolling hills with gentle ups and downs.... The age range of those who walk the Camino varies but favors an older crowd of 50+. I´m quite impressed with the older folks doing the Camino. I met one man a few days ago who´s 77 and is covering over 30k a day ! Most people seem to be averaging around 20k a day. Some walk for just a few days while others walk for weeks. While some walkers seem reasonably seasoned and fit there are plenty who have never done a long distance walk. At times I´ll see lots of walkers and other times I´ll hardly see any. Walkers seem to congregate in some villages more than others. Since everyone leaves early it can seem a little busy at first but things spread out by mid to late morning.... It´s an interesting crowd on the Camino and it´s really starting to feel like a community. I´m quite happy on the Camino. So far my Camino experience is meeting or exceeding expectations....

No comments: