September 16, 2008

Beyond Burgos, Albergue Chaos, & A Night Under The Stars....

We all left out of Burgos yesterday afternoon with splendid weather.  It was so nice that the possibility of camping came up.  Mark, Micah, and Simon were definitely set with the idea of camping. Frank and I were undecided. About 10 km outside of Burgos we arrived in Rabe de las Calzados.  The idea of a good dinner in a nice Albergue appealed to me and Frank so we decided to check out the local Privado Albergue.  No sure if I´ve told you much about Frank but he´s an easy going Californian who owns his own window cleaning business.  We´re about the same age. Anyway, We decide to check into the Albergue.  The host seemed nice enough at first but quickly started giving us orders about where to put our pack, boots, etc.. As we checked in she quized us about where we were from and wanted to see our passports.  This woman was running a tight ship! We paid and were ready to bring our packs in, but, Wait ! ¨Don´t put them there !¨. As it turns out she was super paranoid about bed bugs. She claimed that 98% of the Albergues have bed bugs but I´ve heard it´s less than 10%. However, there has been an outbreak in the area that we´re passing thru and she was´nt going to have anything to do with it. Her place has no bed bugs and she intends to keep it that way !  She then wanted us to put our packs in a garbage bag and hang them on a hook at the end of the bed. None of our stuff was allowed to touch the bed except our sleeping bags.  We were only allowed to access the items within our pack while the garbage bag was covering it. Then there were some more rules or someting. A German pilgrim showed up during all of this and left calling the host crazy.  It was all getting kind of stressfull and a little complicated.  I really think the woman meant well but her deilivery needs work.  So far the Camino has been muy Tranquillo and this albergue was not Tranquillo.  I then decided It was´nt going to work for me.  I told Frank I was going to leave. His reply was, ¨I do´nt blame you but I´m going to play the game¨. I then went to tell her I wanted to leave.  Her English was´nt too good and my Spanish is lacking.  I told her I wanted to leave and make my place available for another Pilgrim. She asked why ?  I said, ¨I changed my mind¨. Her response was, ¨What ? There´s something wrong with your mind ? Whatever, It did´nt matter, I got my money back and rejoined Mark, Simon, and Micah and walked on....... We continued walking into the evening and a glorious evening it was. Our final destination was Hornillos for the night. Micah spotted a group of large hay bales right outside of town and decided it was a great place to camp.  I was a little uncertain of the choice of campsite and debated an alternative but stuck with the group.  After picking up some food at the local store we met up with another pilgrim by the name of Xavier from Madrid. He also wanted to camp and joined us.  Xavier was certain we would´nt have any problems. As it turned out it was a very nice evening and a great place to camp. As we ate dinner we watched the moon rise (see photo below)...... We´re currently in Castrojeriz after another splendid day of walking. It´s looks like its going to be another spectacular night so we´re all planning to camp again....
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Todd,
Thanks for sharing your Camino experiences with other people you don't know like me. Thanks for inspiring me to do great things, and live in a more human way this plastic world. Definetly, if ever come back to Spain I will do the Camino.

Gonza, from Singapore.
(Xavier's brother)

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, thanks!
It is like being there sharing the Camino with you guys!
Great pics too!
My dad´s village it is only 5 km from Castrojeriz, nice sunset from the castle!!
Keep on enjoying what the Way has to offer, tranquility, effort, friendship...Buen Camino!
Kiss to your current companion, new friend Javi!!Happy birthday, tralaraaa

Raquel(Spain):-)