August 22, 2008

......Busyness......

My life oscillates between periods of busyness and a more lackadaisical pace. I don't consider myself a lazy person but there are times when I could definitely be more productive.. But then again, maybe not. I think everyone is wired differently and perhaps it's the more relaxed periods of my life that allow me to recharge for the next venture. I've known seemingly well adjusted people who thrive on the pressures of a fast paced all consuming occupation while others crash and burn under the same load. For me I can go like a mad dog for only so long before I need to put on the brakes, slow down and relax. I need adequate time to just look around, think and dream....

As a traveler, something I've noticed about the American culture is a tendency towards the excessive. Especially when it comes to busyness. I once attended a church sermon entitled, “The Demon of Busyness” and it addressed this very issue. Busyness can totally consume an individual. For some individuals busyness provides an element of comfort. For others its a place to hide. A life full of busy tasks can shape, create and define a persons identity. All said, some may be happy and content with that but I fear others lose sight of who they really are and miss out on more than they can imagine.

Non of us really know how much time we have and all we really have is now. There's great satisfaction that comes out of achieving time consuming goals requiring busyness, however, I find it can also be disorienting. I can remember periods of my life where I was consumed with busyness for months on end. After awhile, when things slowed down I'd feel kind of lost. Such a strange feeling. It would then take awhile to readjust and get reacquainted with who I really am.. As with a lot of things it's all about balance. I just try not to allow myself to get lost in the realm of busyness...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Busyness is in my view a side (symptom) of affluensa the degradation of one's true soul by a real or imagined need of material posessions. Simply put, the more stuff you have, the more stuff you think you need... Even one's time, the one of 3 true currencies we are given- the other two being God's love and his gift of free will- can be squandered while in a self-created maze of Busyness.

I ask myself, "do I make time for our lord and creator in my life?(time) Do I chase needs and things too hard? Can one ask for and be blessed with "time" to ponder God's
grace while still being a "responsible person"?

Todd, I truly admire your courage
in traveling and thinking big thoughts- enjoy your journey and thanks for sharing it with me- and all of us!

Pierre