August 14, 2008

The Thinker on "Should"

Today I pondered the difficulty of “Should”. I sometimes find myself getting hung up on the “Shoulds”. Especially when my inner critic chimes in. “I should be doing this or I should be doing that”. Hey, I'm a responsible person. What's the big issue? Well, it is an issue.... The “Shoulds” are one thing when I'm trying to get from point A to point B and need to get things done in order to arrive at a desired destination. Its another thing when the “Shoulds” become unnecessary pressures based on outside influences. I believe there is a certain amount of “Should” programming that's been ingrained in my psyche as I've grown up. It's originated from family, friends, media, etc. and has told me what I “Should” do, "Should" not do and “Should” be. Fortunately, for better or worse, I have disobeyed many “Shoulds” throughout my lifetime. Nonetheless, “Should” is an obstacle in the myriad of who I am. As a thinker I'll often venture through the realm of the psyche and sift through the many self imposed entanglements and road blocks created by “Should”. The truth is, "Shoulds" can profoundly influence and direct a persons life. The question is this: Just what "Shoulds" should I be listening to ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u should listen to the little voice inside it will never led u astray-conscience-wwjd