August 23, 2008

Camino de Santiago



I leave to walk the Camino de Santiago in a week. Currently I'm rounding up my gear, tying up loose ends etc. etc.. The route starts from St Jean Pied de Port which is located on the French/Spanish border and then heads 500 miles across northern Spain to Santiago de Compostela. I'm planning to walk for five weeks. After arriving in Santiago I will likely continue another 50 miles to Fisterre located by the Atlantic Ocean...

What is the Camino ? The Camino is an ancient Pilgrimage route that is well over 1,000 years old. The purpose of the Pilgrimage is to visit the site where St. James, one of Jesus original 12 disciples, is buried. St. James was beheaded by Harad Agrippa in Jerusalem during 44 A.D. His remains were then carried by a group of his followers to a place that is now known as Santiago de Compostela and buried there. The first recorded Pilgrimage took place around the the 8th or 9th century. By the 12th century large masses of people were making the journey. During medieval times Pilgrims faced many dangers as the Christians battled the Moors. The Spanish and French set up a route that provided some safety. Lodging was established specifically for Pilgrims and the Templar Knights patrolled the Camino to protect all those who made the Journey.

There are actually several different Camino routes that start all over Europe. The most well known, and what I consider to be the classic route, is the Camino Frances. That is what I'll be doing. I'll be taking the foot route which is a combination of trails, paths, and secondary roads. I'll spend a great deal of time in the countryside but I'll also pass through numerous villages and a few small cities..

At first I was attracted to the Camino because I like to hike and walk but now the forthcoming adventure is taking on more of a spiritual meaning for me. Legend states that by completing the Pilgrimage one is completely cleared of all prior sins. Others report of great healings, new beginnings, etc. etc...

2 comments:

MermaidLilli said...

Hi, Todd, I like to click on the "Next Blog" button at the top of my blog page and see where it takes me. It's fun to read strangers' blogs. Yours was the first one it took me to and I thought it synchronous that you are going to the Camino, as I am a Camino lover. Not sure if you are on a forum or not.... if you are then you may have seen me as MermaidLilli... if not you should check it out, it's a great community of people. I jsut got back from the Via de la Plata and loved it. Both are wonderfully alike and different in many ways. Anyway, just a hello here, since I tend to follow up on synchronicity.
Buen Camino. Lillian

Sil said...

Hola Todd,
Another peregrina here to wish you 'Buen Camino". You are walking in the footsteps of millions of pilgrims-past - including Lillian's and mine!
Take it easy the first week. By now most of the holiday-pilgrims are going back to college, work, home and the trail will be less crowded.
I am putting a link to your blog on mine and will keep up-to-date on your posts.
Enjoy your walk. Leave Todd-the-Mod boy behind and go with an open mind and a kind heart in order to receive all the blessings of the camino.
Abrazos,
Sil