August 27, 2008

An Appalachian Trail Story

Chuck From Pennsylvania




So, There I was. Neels Gap, Georgia. It was a chilly spring day in 1985 and the previous night was windy and cold. I hadn't slept much. I was 3 days and 30 miles into a 2,138 mile hike that would take me all the way up the Appalachian Mountain range to Mt Katahdin, Maine. Yes, It was a bit ambitious for a 19 year old with little experience and the reality of it all was just starting to set in. The Georgia hills were not particularly friendly and my 50+ pound Kelty external frame pack was quite a burden. I was having my doubts.

As I sat at Neels Gap my doubts began to deepen. I started to question why I was really doing the hike ? How was I going to handle five months of carrying a heavy pack while dealing with all sorts of weather, etc. etc. Did I really want to hike all the way to Maine ? I began to sink into a heavily negative state of mind. I knew I could leave the hike at Neels Gap but if I continued it would be another week before I'd be able to easily drop out. But, why would I want to stop hiking now ? The internal debate continued as I fought with the inner demons of self doubt. Looking back, I think I was just a little scared.

This went on for awhile until I looked up and saw a wild looking character walking towards me. It was a tall man with a large mustache and big pack but what I noticed most was his hiking staff that had to be around seven feet tall. It was decorated with feathers and raccoon tails. He was very charismatic, full of enthusiasm, and hiking to Maine ! There were already a couple of hikers following him and I immediately decided I needed to follow as well. Amazing how quickly things can change.

His name was Chuck and he was from Pennsylvania. He Immediately welcomed me as a hiking partner and was a great guy to talk to. I noticed that the hike was not going particularly smooth for him but each day it got a little easier for both of us as we adjusted and settled into a routine. A week after meeting at Neels Gap we arrived in North Carolina and the Nantahala Outdoor center along with a few other hikers. Nantahala was my first resupply stop and first real brush with civilization since Neels Gap. At that point I decided that the hiking life just might be right for me so I continued. The next week took me through the Smokey mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee. By time I passed through the Smokies there was no way in the world anyone was ever going to get me off the trail before I reached Maine. Wow ! What a difference! I totally fell in love with hiking the Appalachian Trail. On September, 4, a little over five months after starting in Georgia I climbed Mt. Katahdin, Maine. I had continued to see Chuck off and on during the first 3 months but then I began to hike a little faster. He reached Katahdin around the middle of September. To this very day hiking the A.T. is one of the greatest experiences of my life and it still affects me.

I learned many, many, many, valuable lessons while hiking. I learned how sometimes a chance meeting can change the entire direction of ones life. I learned to be leery of the demons of doubt. I learned that, more often than not, time is needed to adjust to things that are new. I find that the 2 week rule often applies. Generally 2 weeks is enough time to decided whether or not a new interest or venture is right or wrong for me.... Most of all I learned to be open to life's experiences and to always look up to see whats around. Needless to say, I often have to remind myself of these things...

1 comment:

Alvin Richard said...

Beautifully said.....you need to write a book if you haven't done it yet.