October 26, 2008

Current Sate Of The Union - Traveler Thinker Perspective



Well, I'm settling back into my life here in Houston. My body has readjusted to central daylight time and I've caught up on some much needed sleep. Things are good. Can't complain at all. Upon my return I quickly realized that a lot has happened while I was gone. During the 6 weeks I was in Spain I didn't follow any news and it was wonderful...

Currently the USA, as well as the rest of the world, is in the midst of a a financial crisis. However, oddly enough, the American dollar is gaining strength and the price of oil is plummeting which is good for travel !........In all seriousness though, with the presidential election coming up tensions are very high and the country is passionately divided. It's kind of a crazy time right now. Having just walked the Camino I feel like I've stepped into a riot without any kind of emotional involvement. What I see is a stock market fueled by neurosis, excessive greed, and a gambling attitude. Gone are the solid principles of good ol' Blue Chip investing commonly considered safe before the introduction of internet day trading..... On the issue of politics I see everyone talking but not many listening and all the while people keep getting louder. The irony is that I think everyone basically wants the same things... There seems to be an abundance of irrational thinking right now as people become more and more emotional about the issues.....

Having taken up the free spirit lifestyle of a World Traveler and Thinker I can't say I have much to loose. Although I'm concerned I'm not overly worried......Finances ? I make very little and do just fine. I feel that my money is best wisely used now because you never know what might happen in the future. You can interpret that however you like but I will add that I'm not stupid....Excuse me while I wave my Thoreau like Vagabond Philosophy flag. Having little means you have little to loose, less to manage and ultimately more freedom. Material possessions are a burden. When I equate time spent living and working I tend to look at it this way. Do I want to spend 50 days of my life working for a luxury item or would I rather spend 25 days working, grab my backpack, and spend the next 25 days gaining an interesting life experience walking through the jungles of Borneo? When my days are done I can't take the luxury item but I can take the experience and impressions left by walking through the jungles of Borneo. Therefore I think a better investment is to forgo the material and invest in Life Experiences. This said, I must add that everyone is wired differently and I'm speaking purely for myself. Some may relate to my philosophy while others are much more inclined to go for the Lexus. It's a matter of personal preference and there's really nothing wrong with that...

Politically ? The Election ? My stance is this. I sincerely hope that good things come out of whoever gets elected. I will support our next president with a neutral mind until proven otherwise.......Both candidates have their pluses and minuses......... Remember the Alamo !.... What ??????????

No comments: