October 18, 2008

Closing Thoughts On The Camino de Santiago - Back In Houston


I'm back in Houston. The trip home lasted 20+ hours and was quite exhausting as I arrived home late last Wednesday night. Although I'm still trying to shake the jet lag I'd like to share some closing thoughts on my experience of walking the Camino de Santiago.

For me the Camino was an amazing experience that exceeded my expectations. I've traveled alot over the years and can honestly say the Camino is very special. In ways that are hard to describe I know it has changed me for the better. Some issues in my life seem clearer and I feel more at peace with new found understandings. I'm probably less sure, than before the Camino, as to what my next direction in life is but I feel remarkably at ease. Life is simple. No need to make it complicated. Things always work out......

Religion? Some walk the Camino for reiligious reasons and some do it just because they like to walk. Some believe in God while others are agnostic. A few may even be atheist. By the end, everyone, despite whatever belief, agrees the Camino is very Special. Its hard not to be changed in some way, by something, for the better.

Physical Demands? Some start out fit and athletic. Many are not fit at all have no athletic background. An unathletic French woman in her mid 50's whom I met towards the end put it this way,"The first week was pure hell but after that things got alot easier. The Camino is the most wonderful experience". If your new to the whole distance walking thing give yourself time early in the walk to get use to it all. Plan short days in the beginning and take care of your feet at the first sign of any problem. As long as your reasonably healthy all you really need is the desire to do it. One day at a time and before your know it, your in Santiago..

For anyone who is inclined and has the desire to walk the Camino my advice is to think no more and just do it. Do'nt worry about the details, etc. as all that stuff will likely sort itself out easier than can be imagined. The time to walk the Camino is when your interested and the desire is present. Some may feel a calling. It's not so much about deciding that someday will be the right time. It's more about taking advantage of the desire to walk when the time feels right and to NOT put it off. Naturally there is some planning involved when it comes to leaving home for 5 weeks, getting to St Jean Pied Port, etc,. etc. but while walking the Camino I would'nt reccomend planning anything more than 2 hours in advance. All you need to know is that you will be walking alot. Just let it happen. Allow the Camino to work it all out and an amazing experience will surely unfold. The biggest challenge is the self but as long as your leave yourself alone things will be fine if not great or excellent. The Camino teaches this lesson very well....

The scenery and villages rich with character, characters, and history make the Camino a beautiful experience, however, its really the people walking the Camino that make it particulary special. People come from all over the world with a common goal. Simply to walk to Santiago. Walk, eat, sleep and walk some more. It makes no difference wether or not you speak the same language or know what each other does for a living. The many multitudes of characteristics that we as humans normally use to label, catagorize, and/or undersatand an individual are more or less irrelevant on the Camino. It just does'nt matter.. This biggest complaint about anyone walking the Camino may be that they snore loudly or get up at 5am to rustle thru their bags in the albergue for an hour. During my time on the Camino I found that most any talk about other pilgrims was generally supportive, endearing, and/or uplifting. I noticed an extreme lack of negative gossip which was quite refreshing.

Now for some nuts and bolts info.....No matter what the books say you may find it interesting to know that the busiest months, according to hospitaleros, are May and September. May is generally rainy and September is usually much drier. July and August are considered too hot for those going the full distance from France. The final 100k is busiest during the summer as individuals and tours walk the last 60 miles in order to obtain a compostela in Santiago. Most of these groups are supported and have all sorts of ways of going about walking the last 100k. It's the large groups doing the final bit that account for July and August statistically being the busiest months. A hospitalero in Viloria de Rioja said there are few pilgrims in the middle of summer. I found September to be great for walking. There was very little rain and aside of a few warm days temperatures were cool with some nights being downright cold..... I saw plenty of people and some would worry about getting a bed in an albergue for the night. There was only one occasion where I saw people shut out with absolutely no other option. It only happened once and in my opinion if the hospitalero at the albergue had a little more of a pilgrim spirit there would'nt have been a problem at all. Anyway, I always got a late start and although some albergues would be full, when I arrived, there was always overflow space available nearby. I camped quite a bit because I like to camp and often preferred the added privacy and peace afforded by a tent. Virtually no one camps on the Camino but I found it to be one of the hidden gems if you don't mind carrying a tent. Many albergues allow camping and usually it's alot better than being inside with the snorers. Often I would camp at an albergue and use the the facilities. This worked out really well. I preferred to camp as long as the weather was good. With a little asking around I think many options for camping can be found. As far as sleeping in the albergues goes it was usually better than I anticipated and sometimes really nice. However, I do reccomend ear plugs and eye mask. They can make a big difference by helping to insure a good nights sleep. Some albergues only have 2 beds in a room while others could have 20, 30, 50 or even one with over 100 beds in a room ! Lights are usually turned off at 10 pm and generally everyone has to be out by 8 am the next morning....... Getting there and back ? I flew to London for a couple of days and then caught a Ryan Air flight to Biarritz. From there it was a short bus ride to Bayonne and a peaceful hour or so on train to St. Jean. From Santiago I took a train to Madrid (7 hours). Flew home from Madrid. I was very happy with this travel plan....
Well, I think this is going to wrap up my Camino de Santiago specific blog topic but I'll soon be adding a short story on my walking boots and some short films I recorded with my small digital photo camera while on the Camino...
Hasta Luego! Buen Camino !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Todd!!Great summary!
I also felt the Camino was very special, difficult to explain and unforgetable..It´s fantastic you can pass your experience on to other people all over the world!
Camino, history, stories, gente, a lot a good memories...a bit of Spain!
What next?
Chao, se feliz
Raquel