October 19, 2008

Jerry's Boots - From Santiago to Santiago

What you see in this photo is a pair of high quality Italian made Vasque Leather Sundowner hiking boots lined with 1st generation Gortex. These boots were Very popular in the 1980's. My friend Jerry purchased these back in the day. They did'nt fit him very well but he hung onto them anyway. Obviously he did'nt use them much and figured someday they would be good for someone or something. That someday arrrived last January when I flew into Santiago, Chile. I originally met Jerry and Ingrid in college and hadn't seen them in over 20 years. With the help of a mutual friend we had become recently reaquainted thru email and skype. Anyway, I was setting out for a two month trip to Chile and Argentina and they invited me to stay with their family. When I arrived at their home in Santiago, Chile I noticed that the soles of my boots were falling off. Even though the boots I was wearing showed little use and were only a few years old the soles were disintigrating after wearing them on the plane. Was it the security Xray machine, or, just a lousey batch of chinese rubber sole material ? Regardless, my boots were useless at that point and I had plans to hike in Patagonia. What to do ? At that moment Jerry thought of his Vasque boots and offered them to me. I tried them on and they fit well so Jerry gave them too me. This is where the story gets interesting. I aquired these boots in Santiago, Chile. I then wore them to Patagonia and Ushuaia, Argentina the modern day, "Fin del Mundo", end of the world. From there I wore them back to Santiago, Chile and then home. Due to considerable Patagonia wear I debated wether or not to take them on the Camino but decided I had just enough sole for the trip. I then used them for the entire Camino thus arriving in Santiago, Spain with Italian boots aquired in Santiago, Chile. From Santiago, Chile I then wore them to Finisterre the, "Old World", end of the world where I took the photo shown on this blog...... From Santaigo to Santiago. From the End of the World to the End of the World. Now, wouldn't it be something if Jerry's name was really James ?.....

The future of these boots ? They held up remarkably well on the Camino and I will likely have them resoled. You can still buy Vasaque Sundowners but they are not the same. The leather is different and they are made in China. Not much telling what the soles are made of.....

1 comment:

Gingo Lingo said...

Wow, boots put on the right man can do just about anything! Loved the story!

Could it be that James taught about Christ and Jerry teaches about Christ's return?