November 3, 2008

2005 - Drive - Houston To Labrador - Battle Harbor


Labrador and Battle Harbor

During the summer of 2005 I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself so I decided to go for a drive. Since I've traditionally headed west, under the same frame of mind, I decided to head East for a change. My first stop was Killingworth, Ct where I stayed with friends for a week or so before heading up to Maine. I then spent a week around Bar Harbor, ME and Acadia National Park hiking and running. From there I drove up to Canada. I first blazed through New Brunswick on my way to PEI. Afterwards I ventured on over to Nova Scotia and up to Cape Bretton. It was then that I realized it was merely a 6-8 hour ferry ride to Newfoundland and without much thought I got on a ferry. It was a great Ferry ride on 10-12 ft. seas. Really awesome. Once in Newfoundland I drove all the way up the west coast to the site of an actual Viking village. At that point I realized it was only a couple of hours by ferry to get to Labrador.... Labrador ? They've got Northern Lights and Polar Bears up there !.....

Labrador proved to be pretty amazing. Beautiful landscapes and very few people. The only problem in the summer is that it's overrun by blood sucking Black Flies. Unless there's a good rain and/or stiff wind the flies are insanely bad. As I drove into Labrador this became more of an issue and I found it best to stay near the windy coastline whenever possible. While talking to some local folks I learned of an Island just off the coast that use to be a hot bed for Cod fishing. The Island is known as Battle Harbor. The area was fished heavily for a couple of hundred years before being fished out. Due to economic decline people living on the Island relocated and the village of Battle Harbor was abandoned. As the settlement fell into decay local interests acquired the support of the Canadian Government to help preserve the village as a historical site. A Government supported Historic Trust now employs a small staff to maintain remaining buildings and facilities for visitors, ocean researchers, etc. during the summer months. There's a bunk house, several cottages for accommodation and a cafe that offers meals. The only way you can get to Battle Harbor is by taking an hour and half boat ride from Mary's Harbor. I was intrigued so I planned to visit for a few days..

When I arrived I was the only visitor for the day. Besides myself there was a small staff, a sailboat with two people returning from Greenland, and a marine biologist studying the local whales. I stayed in the Bunkhouse and spent the next three days getting know the few people there and exploring the area. Very remote and absolutely beautiful. The weather was great. Plenty of wind and No Black Flies ! Great place !....

After 3 days I took the boat back to Mary's Harbor and decided I had driven far enough North. I then turned South and slowly retraced my steps back home... It was a good drive...

No comments: