June 20, 2015

The End Of the Coast Path















Today I reached Minehead, the northern terminus of the Southwest Coast Path. It took me three separate trips to complete the total 630 miles end to end. The first segment I walked in 2011 from the southern terminus of Poole to Teignmoth which is a little over a 100 miles. Last year I returned to the Coast path in Teignmoth and continued on to Perranporth which covered over 300 miles. This year I picked up where I left off last year to finish in Minehead. The Southwest Coast Path is Britain’s longest continuous national trail at 630 miles.

I more or less took 15 ½ days to reach Minehead with two days off which made for a relatively relaxed pace for me. It proved to be the perfect amount of time. With two weeks of hiking in my legs it was an easy jaunt for the final nine miles from Porlock through Bossington to Minehead. Porlock and Bossington are both very nice and quaint with thatch roofed homes and tea houses specializing in cream teas.

I didn’t much care for the farm campground in Porlock. Although nicely located, it’s a bit of racket with hardly anything to offer for the 8 pound price. It was relatively crowded with a school group in an adjoining field. Facilities were minimal. I offset the camping fee by scoring on a large portion of cheap yet good quality fish and chips in the village.

The previous day's hike from Lynmouth to Porlock was mostly forested through blooming Rhododendron, however, the trail has not been maintained very well. With all of the tall grass and such it turned out to be tick heaven. By the end of the day I picked seven small deer ticks off of me. Luckily none had a chance to dig in. I asked at a local at a pub if Lyme’s disease was much of a problem in the area. The bartender said it was around but not too common. Needles to say, I don’t like ticks.

Today I checked in early at a basic B&B in Minehead. I may layover another day just to rest and take it easy. I spent the afternoon mulling over what to do next as I still have more time before I fly home in July. So, I devised a plan. I figure it’s time for something completely different. I’ve spent enough of time in England and have enjoyed plenty of Ale, Fish and Chips, and beautiful scenery. All in all I've been pretty lucky with the weather which is always a variable in the UK. I’m now after consistent sun and different food in a place I’ve never been.

No comments: