June 13, 2015

No Need To Rush - Life On The Skids

Since I’m not traveling on a tight schedule I planned to leave myself open to staying an extra day anywhere along the Coast Path if I felt like it. With the charm of Clovelly and very affordable super comfortable accommodation I decided to stay put and not hike today. Plus, the Achilles tendon on my left foot has flared up a bit and the weather is gray and windy.

The owners of the B&B in Clovelly are named Jane and Derek. Only a vacancy plaque above the entrance door marks their home as a B&B. There’s no other sign, website, or anything like that. I don’t even think the Bed and Breakfast has a specific name. I was the only guest last night. From what I understand they don’t really want to be too overburdened with too much business. This morning Jane fixed me a huge breakfast, as much as I wanted, and then some. I talked with both of them for awhile over breakfast and feel like I’m visiting relatives or friends.

After breakfast I went for a short walk up to a church that dates back 800 years and roamed around the village area. I discovered that the village was originally settled sometime during the 1200’s. I also watched some guys load up wood railed sleigh like skids at the top of the village. Sliding them up and down is the only regular way to get supplies and such to the businesses and residences. They seem to slide well on the old cobbles. The smaller skids appear to work fine for one person but the larger skids require two people.

From what I can tell I should be able to reach Minehead at the end of the Southwest Coast Path in a week pretty easily, however, I’m enjoying the journey. No need to rush the destination.

No comments: