June 6, 2015

Back On The Southwest Coast Path, England


Jet lag did a number on me this time flying over to the UK. I spent two daze walking around London and visited Royal Albert Hall, Hyde Park, Green Park, and took a couple of photos of the guards at Buckingham palace. On the second night I met my friend Kylie for a couple of pints at a pub and a Gourmet burger. London is as expensive as ever.

After two nights in London I caught the train out of London, Paddington to Truro. From Truro I hopped a bus to Perranporth and found a windy campsite for the night. I caught a break from the wind at a nearby golf course bar and struck up a conversation with a guy who was a buzz by recently seeing the Foo Fighters in Manchester with 65,000 other people. He pulled out his I-phone to show me surprisingly good and stable footage. I turned in for the night still feeling out of sorts.

The next morning I got to walking. Within few miles of choppy steps getting use to the pack again I slowly started to feel like my old self again. 18 miles later I wandered into Mawgan Porth and found a small compact campground called Magic Cove. All of the sites were full but the owners were very nice and asked another couple if I could camp just off the side of their site. The couple didn't mind at all and quickly offered me tea while asking where I was from etc. I finished the day with Fish and Chips and a pint.

Today I put in another 18 mile day feeling remarkably like I did last year except for some soreness reminding me that I haven't carried a pack and walked the miles since last September.

Tonight I'm camped in Padstow. My site is very nice and sheltered from the wind. The temps have been chilly in the 50's and the wind has been pretty fierce. The upside is that it's sunny. No rain.

Naturally, I'm feeling pretty tired this evening. More lively posts to come.....


No comments: