June 2, 2015

It's 3:30 Am In Houston But I'm In London

The time between now and then passed rapidly ending in a foggy hue that woke me spinning a few times in the early hours. Nauseated by fatigue. Hard drive set steadfast on the game that makes money, known as my job, has left me wondering where the last nine months have gone. It's a competitive world and the only way forward is self-motivation, hard knocks, a little luck, and a bit of fun. At times I can be distracted and over focused almost to a fault. In turn it leaves me feeling disconnected from friends and other interests. However, the bank account is in good shape for the time being. There's always a trade off of some sort or another.

In the past nine months I made three trips to Colorado relating to family. Twice I drove the 2,000 mile round trip and once I flew.  On my most recent drive to Colorado in April I finally made a short side trip to Capulin National Monument. I've driven past it for 30 years without stopping. It's a small dormant volcano in northeast New Mexico. A road circles the mass rising near the top where a one mile hike loops the crater rim exposing fantastic views all the way around. At the time it was a brief stop, a highlight, a reminder of another life put one hold.

It's 3:30 am in Houston but I'm in London and its 9:30 am. I'm drinking a coffee looking out from a second story window at double decker buses on a narrow two lane one-way street lined with local shops, a KFC and a McDonalds. I really shouldn't be drinking coffee but it seemed like a good impulsive decision.
For assorted reasons I was a little apprehensive taking off for this trip but the flight was fine if not a bit long. The direct United Airlines flight from Houston can't be beat for logistics but the quality is not very good. Economy seats are tight and not very comfortable. The flight attendants do as little as possible and none seem particularly cheery. American carriers in general rank low when it comes to service these days and the morale at United seems to be particularly negative.

Upon arrival I took the Underground from Heathrow and dropped by the hotel I'm booked at for two nights. Hotels.com gave me a reasonable discount and the ratings were pretty good. It's located in part of London I haven't stayed before. It's close to the tube at Earls Court and walking distance from many worthwhile attractions. Check In is 2 pm so I'll fight the jet lag until the evening when fatigue either keeps me up tossing and turning or sends me into a deep restful sleep. You never know with jet lag.

The idea of this trip is to pick up where I left off last September. I'll return to Truro via train on my way  back to the Southwest Coast Path. From Truro I'll take a local bus to Perranporth, walk down to the beach, and find the path that leads 200 miles north to Minehead. In doing so I'll complete the final section of the 630 mile Southwest Coast Path of England. This will mark my third trip on the route which I will be completing in three sections. I have plenty of time which allows me the option of a relaxed pace if I so choose.

No comments: