June 28, 2011

Irkutsk to Yekaterinburg

In a couple of hours I'll board a train for over two days to get from Irkutsk to Yekaterinburg. I've given myself 15 minutes to write this post from a posh English Pub in Irkutsk that reeled me in with a wifi sticker on the entry door.

It's kind of a funny pub. Of course everyone is Russian. A little broken English is spoken as it's attached to a hotel. The decor is pretty well done in English fashion but all of the cute young waitresses are wearing Socttish Tartan dresses. I don't think I've ever seen that in England and I been to a lot of pubs. However, it kind of works with the contemporary spanish music in the background.

I ordered a pint of the cheapest beer on the menu. I was going to order a small glass because all I really wanted was a wifi connection but the bar tender, in a cool way with comment, "large glass?", gave me the message, at the very least, I had to order a pint. Fair enough.

Olkhon Island was great and the mini van ride back, with a load of lake fish on top, went quickly. We made a brief stop for lunch and I was happy to be able to engage in the point and shoot method of odering from a cooler window. Russia is tough when you don't know the language and the Russian alphabet doesn't help.

Well, I better run by a shop and pick up some food for the train and double check to make sure I've got Moscow time right. All of the train tickets in Russia are done in Moscow time. From where I am now there's a five hour difference. Where I arrive there's only be a two hour difference. And that's the easy part of the ticket.

No comments: