June 4, 2011

Take a Chance on a Blank Sheet of Paper

There was once a famous writer who commented that his greatest fear was staring at a blank sheet of paper. Since starting this blog I’d say my style of writing and interest thereof has fluctuated. While at home, working through a day to day average routine, I have little desire to write. I’ll sometimes ponder a more philosophical think piece but then I’ll wrestle with the issues of continuity and how it will be received once posted on the web for all of the world to see. I’ll criticize the holes in my own philosophy and fear a misrepresentation of self if I take the chance of being misunderstood. It’s funny how a person can accidently and inaccurately present oneself by comments or explanations inadvertently delivered out of context and character. Abstract ideas and concepts, no matter how clearly delivered, are always subject to be interpreted in many different ways. The artist will always be criticized no matter what.

To be a master sculptor or painter of one’s own life the greatest triumphs are realized when one takes a chance. Playing it safe can be stifling. I guess that’s why I’ve chosen an unorthodox lifestyle. I’m driven to see the view from the top of the mountain, feel the wind on my face, and see what’s around the corner beyond the next corner.

Taking a chance may entail quitting a job you really don’t like in exchange for the wide open possibility of anything can happen, or, it could be buying that ticket and taking a trip to a place you’ve always wanted to see. It could also be talking to that person you have been meaning to talk to for the last year or taking an acting class you’ve been curious about forever. Taking a chance doesn’t have to be extreme but it should be something that challenges ones own level of comfort. As I always say, “You should never let yourself get too comfortable”.

A blank sheet of paper can be an adventure in of itself. Often times the artist has no idea where the first letter, stroke of ink, or splatter of paint will take them. The sketchbook of life can sit empty upon the shelf of procrastination or it can be a catalyst for unimaginable possibility.

Perhaps I am good at taking a chance on life in the arena of adventure and travel but maybe I need to take more of a chance in the realm of writing and philosophy. After all, I have declared myself a “World Traveler and Thinker”. The crux is battling the inner critic that blocks the gateway of potential.

Take a chance on a blank sheet of paper……

No comments: