June 10, 2011

Into Mongolia





Just a quick post as I wrap things up to head into the wilds of Mongolia. Tomorrow morning I'll embark on a nine day journey in the company of 3 others. I met Gary and Sinead, an Irish couple, on the subway in Beijing to catch the train to Mongolia. They were headed to Mongolia as well. I met an Englishan by the name of Simon, also known as "Sketch", while in Chengdu, China. He just happened to hop the train to Mongolia in the middle of the night at the China Mongolia boarder the same time I was on the train. I met him again the following morning. These kind of things happen on the backpacker trail. After arriving in Ullanbataar we all reconnected with similar ideas on what we wanted to do so we hired a Mongolian driver and his cool Russian built 4wd van to take us on a journey into the heart of the country.

Actually, the story of how we all came together is kind of funny. When your in the flow and traveling things have an interesting way of working out. After this nine day trip I'll return to Ullanbatar and start to make my way across Russia. I figure from now until Poland I'll be on adventure travel mode and don't expect things to be particularly easy but this is when travel can be the most rewarding. I'm not sure what internet access if any will be available but I'll keep posting as opportunity allows.

No comments: