July 24, 2008

Aspen

I'm currently in Aspen, Colorado. Today I hiked up Aspen Mountain via a series of trails, 4 wd drive roads and ski slopes up the west side of the mountain. I descended from the top along the east side of the mountain via East Rim and Ute trails. This made for a nice walk on a beautiful day. Tomarrow I'll head up the Snowmass / Maroon Bells wilderness for a hike up Buckskin pass.

Aspen is a beautiful place that offers loads of great options for the outdoor enthusiast. I lived in Aspen for a number of years but left in 2002. While living here I worked for the Forest Service, Bellhopped at hotels and drove a limo. It was fun and the tips were good. In my spare time I hiked, skied, ran etc. etc....

Despite the natural beauty of Aspen it's somewhat bizarre with it's excessive opulence. There are loads of multi million dollar custom trophy homes along with shops such as Gucci and Fendi. It's a small alpine ski town with a big city feel and silly politics. The haves have allot and the have nots do pretty well. The local high school has its own ski lift and no one seems to be suffering too much unless the sushi isn't fresh. Its a place where World leaders, Corporate Leaders, Ski Bums, and Artist find an uncommon common ground....

Currently the Dalai Lama is in town and some guy just rode his unicycle a 100 miles over 2 high alpine passes from Aspen to Breckenridge...

No comments: