November 23, 2008

Thoughts From The Valley Of Contemplation



It's been over a month since I returned from the Camino and I'm feeling about as settled as a box of Mexican jumping beans. I've had plenty of time to catch up with sleep, socialize with friends, and round up a few shekels. I feel like I could easily just pick up my pack and walk on but I also desire to integrate some kind of meaningful purpose to my renaissance vagabondish ways. Therein lies the riddle. The Camino was one of those great mountain top experiences but now I find myself in a valley of contemplation. Mind if I share a few thoughts ?

I like Houston but I think it may be time to move on for awhile. Over the past couple of years things have changed a lot for me. I believe a move may be good. Two years ago I could be seen regularly at local running races and running club socials. Running has always been a big part of my life. I also had a girlfriend that I was pretty psyched about. There were numerous reasons to live in Houston and I was happy being here. Since then I've developed a chronic running injury and haven't been able to run the way I'd like. Racing is out of the question and running is no longer what it use to be for me. Despite my running injury I can ski, hike etc, etc, but there isn't much of that in Houston..... My girlfriend moved on to bigger and better things well over a year ago and I haven't had much of a desire to get involved with anyone else. No ties in that department..... I still frequent the beer drinking running club socials but oddly enough I'm getting kind of tired of drinking beer. I've become a little disinterested in the Houston experience and I don't have any real desire to stick around. At least for now. I guess that's why I'm currently feeling so unsettled. This all goes without saying that I still have a great time hanging out with running friends. Especially the few I've gotten to know pretty well over the past couple of years. Houston is where I grew up. It's my home and my father lives here so it's always going to be a part of my life regardless.

I'm very lucky and fortunate to have the freedom and options that I do but sometimes I drift along like a sailboat without a rudder. Eventually a good breeze comes along and the sailing is quite nice. Life is exciting and lots of cool things happen. Invariably the wind dies and I'm back to the rudderless boat. This tends to be a pattern. Fortunately, I'm able to maintain a certain degree of excitement and anticipation as to where the wind will take me next. This really keeps me going but sometimes I could probably use a rudder and a Yanmar engine to keep me on track.

Like anything, living the life of “World Traveler and Thinker” has its pros and cons. Obviously for me the positives far outweigh the negatives. Nonetheless, the one thing that's lacking, especially as a solo nomad, is a sense of purpose and meaning. I wrestle with the issue of purpose and meaning frequently. Therein lies the thinker.

A big reason for this blog originates out a need to fulfill a purpose and to add more meaning to my adventures by sharing stories, photos, thoughts, and experiences. My desire is not only to share with family and friends but to inspire others to live their dreams and to not be afraid to do so. Life is rarely as stable as it seems and anything can happen. I encourage everyone to live life now.

For the time being I'll continue to navigate my way through a post Camino valley of contemplation as I formulate a new plan.... Oh yeah ! I've dusted off my guitar....

3 comments:

Kathi Mahon said...

Dear WT&T,

What you are describing sounds a lot like a classic "Mid-Life Crisis" to me...

KM

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Micheal Alexander said...

Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Diving opportunities Koh Lanta