November 6, 2008

Election 2008


As an independent moderate I do not desire to get too political in this blog but I can't help but pay recognition to the historic election of Barak Obama. It makes no difference what your political affiliation is. On November 4, 2008 we witnessed the beginning of a different America. Hopefully for the better.

Barak ran one heck of a campaign and won decisively. His charismatic demeanor and articulate speaking abilities served him well. Although his experience is very limited it didn't seem like much of an issue for him. He quickly became a symbol of hope and change as the majority believed he deserved a chance. Barak now has his chance.

McCain ran a good campaign as well but many will argue his choice of running mate. McCain is a seasoned politician and decorated Navy Pilot who survived 5 ½ years in a North Vietnamese prison camp. For some he represented experience and wisdom but for others he represented the same old Washington that most all of America is tired off. Many were afraid things would stay the same. This was a tough year for a Republican running for office.

I see both individuals as having their pluses and minuses but ultimately Barak is set to take the stage. I've always admired McCain's character and was impressed by his concession speech. Shortly after McCains concession Obama and McCain spoke. McCain offered his help and support to Obama and Obama replied by saying, “I need your help”. Hopefully this is a sign of better things to come. A time when politicians can truly understand each other's point of view in order to find a common ground for the greater good. Perhaps now is a time when petty differences will be put aside and leaders will think sensibly for a change. Well, I know that sound's like an idealistic pipe dream but I still like to think it's possible.....

Taking into account the primaries I will admit that my candidate did not get elected....However, A big upside is that I think Obama has a great opportunity to improve America's relations with the rest of the World. As a new player he has a clean slate with a lot of potential. He's young and fresh therefore many world leaders will be more open to him. My concern is that he is very inexperienced and there's a lot we don't know about our new president elect. With inexperience comes naivete and with that comes mistakes. Invariably there will be mistakes. At this point I'm cautiously optimistic about the future. I support our new president despite my reservations. Barak has one Hell of Job ahead of him. If he really is who he has everyone believing he is then I think things are going to be ok, otherwise ????... Time will tell....... I sincerely hope he does well......

No comments: