March 7, 2009

One Man's Crap Is Another Man's Discovery

Well, the long shot did not pan out. I will not be the caretaker of Hamilton Island. They only got 37,000 applicants and the finalist chosen were obviously seasoned media professionals.... Enough of that far fetched distraction..

The fall of the American economy is offering some tremendous opportunities. Most notably in the realm of Travel. The dollar has been picking up steam against foreign currencies and air fares are cheap. My responsibly flaky whimsical approach to long term financial planning has served me well. Had I devoted my life to hard continuous work and invested in the stock market I would probably have as much as I do now.... Not much.... Funny how things work out.....

Some may be wondering how the comedy writing workshop is going... Well, it aint... The class was first postponed then canceled due to some problem with the instructor... I don't think they had enough people signed up.

I made an interesting discovery last week. As I was browsing the isles of a local Target store I began to think about exotic destinations like Asia, India, and a taco stand on N. Main I've always wanted to try. It was at that point that I spied authentic Indian food sitting on a shelf. Several different flavors. Prepared and sealed in microwavable plastic then packaged into a smart looking box. I read the ingredients. Exotic spices, basmati rice, mango chutney etc... Product of India... Wow, concocted in Mumbai, shipped across the pacific, trucked across the American West, and placed on the shelf of a Target store in Houston, Texas.... I decided to give it a try... When I got home I pulled the packets out of the box and decided to forgo the microwave and cooked it on the stove. The basmati got my place smelling like popcorn and the spicey aroma of curry conjured up images of Krishna, Shiva and Vishnu.... I let things simmer a bit.... Once everything was done I piled it upon and plate and began to sweat like a monsoon. Yes, traditional indian food can be VERY spicey and the box did say, "Product Of India". The food was excellent. A couple of bites and I'd wipe my brow. A couple of bites and I'd wipe my brow. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was pleased with my discovery.... A few days later I was happy to tell my friend Neeraj, who's Indian, about the great indian food you can buy at target... His response ? "Oh yes, I've tried it all... It's all crap!"........

1 comment:

Wildman93 said...

I didn't make it to the Top 50 either. In any case, check out my reviews of the existing Island caretaker Candidates..

I've Got a Golden Ticket