February 18, 2009

Hamilton Island Caretaker... Long Shot ?

I like to take my a chance on a long shot every now and then. A long shot could be many things. It can be as simple as buying a lottery ticket or something more challenging like hitting it big with a start up company or asking out a woman who's way out of my league. Long shots rarely come through but on occasion they do. Like the time I was the 8th caller on 101 KLOL Fm and won a copy of Ted Nugents "Cat Scratch Fever"!

I once knew a guy who was in Vegas for a bicycle trade show. He was not one to gamble but felt inclined to slip a dollar into a cool looking slot machine. He chose to take a chance on a long shot. He inserted his money and pulled the arm. The dials stopped rolling one by one and the machine went crazy. Lights, bells, etc. etc... An attendent ran over and informed him that he had won $250,000.00 dollars ! They then invited him to stay at the hotel and put him up in a suite. He was given free meals and tickets to a show. They tried to intice him to gamble some more but he knew better and left Vegas with the 250 Grand. Now that's what I call a long shot coming through!

One of the long shots I've put little time into is the Reality show phenomenon. I've auditioned for 3 different shows and never got past the 1st cut. I'm convinced that very few people get on reality shows through open casting calls. A few do but most I believe are placed through casting agencies and/or by knowing someone on the inside. Regardless, you never really know and people do come out of nowhere to be offered a great opportunity... So, when I heard about a publicity stunt to popularize Queensland Australia's Great Barrier Reef it caught my interest. It's a 6 month caretaking job on Hamilton Island that's gotten a lot of international attention. The job consists of maintaining a residential property, exploring the islands and blogging about it. Given my years of outdoor experience, love of the ocean, multifaceted skills and complete comfort of being out and about for extended periods of time, I'm ideally suited for the position. This is one job that I'm totally qualified for so maybe it's not as much of a long shot as may be presumed. After all, I think they only have about 30 or 40,000 applicants !?!?!? The application process is very simple. Shoot an entertaining video that does not exceed 60 seconds. Here's my video: Hamilton Island Application Video . The video is quite simple. I know from past experience that simple audition videos often do as well as professionally done major productions. The main thing is to be yourself in order to allow whoever is watching to see who you really are. Hopefully I'll come off as someone of interest. It's the first impression thing I guess...Yep, It's a long shot, but hey, someone's going to get the job....Might as well be me..

The Palm Tree photo was taken while I walked along a beach on the Island of Culebra near Puerto Rico...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Aah, that picture of Culebra.
Wonderful. Feature Photo of the
Month for the Island Newspaper?
I'll submit, let you know. Tag to
your Blog of course.
Jim

Wonderduck said...

Killing time at lunch and I see your entry. Good Luck - that would be a SWEET job and you are very qualified. I am now afraid that your catchy little jingle is going be running through my head. It is a good thing I am not doing long runs -- "Woooorld traveler and thinker..." for 20 plus miles just would not do.

Kathi Mahon said...

This made my day!

Runningistherapy said...

Like the ditty Todd!!!