March 20, 2009

The Travel Log.... Drama or Humor ?... The absurdity of it all...


As I look into travel writing as a viable option for some kind of income it appears as though the Travel Log format isn’t particularly popular these days…It seems like readers are more interested in quick fired bullet points as they hit the road with an espresso. The internet offers thousands of informative travel articles thrown together in spiffy little 600 word pieces. How to, when to, where to, Etc. Etc. Issues and solutions adapted for quick consumption by an ADD society. Well suited for someone like myself. Actually, 300 words would be better. Anyway, the net is host to an amoebic flood of mediocrity as writers fight to stake their claim in the realm of Add Sense, pays per click etc..etc… I’ve even got a smart E book on how to do it. Laptop and internet connection combined with a little creativity and you can make a living just about anywhere at any time….. But what about the Travel Log? Today, in this world, I think it needs to be something uniquely dramatic or funny… The days of a simple mountaineering tragedy or a tale of being lost at sea seems a little passé. A basic story of some guy hopping trains through Europe over a summer just isn’t going to cut it. In order for a story like that to get any popular interest he might have to meet up with a cross dressing climber dude that leads him to a variety of eccentric characters. In the end he would have to meet the love of his life and return home changed forever…..

I quite fancy the travel log approach sprinkled with reflective thoughts along the way. Hence the persona, “World Traveler and Thinker”. While walking the Camino de Santiago last fall I estimate there were probably 30 or 40 readers following my progress. Not bad. Once I returned home I’m certain the numbers quickly dropped. Aside of a limited audience of a few friends and acquaintances I’m afraid readership numbers on this blog are quite low when I’m not on the move….

Since I’m not much one for drama it appears as though my only hope is humor. I once participated in a performance workshop for singer/songwriters. The instructor was very good. Her key advice for me was to invest more in the absurd. I kind of got it at the time but now I think I understand her point a little more. The whole dance of life is really kind of nutty when you get right down to it. At times I find myself bogged down within the heaviness of trying to make sense of it all when its impossible to do so. All of us more or less have a choice as to how we want to interpret and react to whatever life throws at us. So, Drama or Humor? Drama is very taxing and exhausting. Humor requires less energy and generally results in feeling better, fun, etc.. .. Tough choice huh?…..

By deductive reasoning my best chance for success as a creative travel log writer is to embrace a humorous perspective, tweek my persona, and hit the road… Stay tuned for, “The Absurdity of the World Traveler and Thinker”.. Coming this Spring !

1 comment:

Kathi Mahon said...

"Invest in the absurd" Most imaginative career advice I've ever heard....