December 31, 2008

Retro Man - Telemark Skier Old School

At 43 I don’t really consider myself very old. Barely middle aged if that. However, today I felt like Retro Man. I guess it all began as I was suiting up for a venture onto the ski slopes. As I slipped into my Marmot Gortex snow pants I remembered how I purchased them at a shop in Jackson, Wyoming in 1989. I then put on an old wool sweater and nylon parka that I received years ago as tip from Hewlett Packard during my bellhoppin days. I then made some adjustments to my Merrill leather telemark boots, stepped in, and laced them up. I was sure not to forget my glacier glasses and Elmer Fudd style pile hat as I grabbed my aluminum Scott poles and 198 cm Tua backcoutry tele skiis. When I arrived at the ticket booth I leaned my skiis against a rack and was amazed at how they towered over others. My skiis looked thin in comparison. With ticket in hand I made my way to the slopes. Gone were the fast moving chairs that bang you in the rear and swoop you off the deck. Now the wide padded chairs come around ever so slow, gently lift, and smoothly transport you to the top of the slopes. I made a couple of runs and a lift op dude complimented me on my cool leather boots. As I rode the lifts, younger skiers and snow boarders didn’t know what to think while the older skiers smiled a nostalgic smile that said, “Ah yes, I remember the day”. I enjoyed skiing classic traditional telemark technique all day and only saw a couple of others doing the same but even they were on the fancey new gear and short wide skiis…

Ten years ago I would not have seemed like an oddity as I did today but I am amazed at how much skiing has changed in a relatively short time. I must admit the new gear is nicer , better, and safer. That all equates to more fun and that’s what it’s all about. Dan has all the new stuff and he offered to loan it to me but you know what ? I think it would be like learning to ski again. I’m not sure I could handle plastic boot power steering attached to wide stable short skiis whose tips are hard to cross ! And I’m referring to telemark equipment ! On second thought, maybe I should give it a try ? Until then you can call me RETRO MAN - Telemark Skier Old School…….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No worries Retro Man, I still have my leathers (and my Dad has his double leathers). They are still the best for skinning and touring, but now plastic, fat skis, and all are the rage for downhill telemarking. It really does make a big difference... once place where "old skool" may not be coming back any time soon.

StevenHWicker said...

I have found that this site is very informative, interesting and very well written. keep up the nice high quality writing Divers dive shop