June 8, 2018

Kotor - Montenegro



When I arrived in Kotor a little after noon I quickly figured out I’d have to hoof it to find a place to stay for a couple of nights. Tourist information was not very helpful but pointed me in the direction of the bay. Yes, somewhere by the bay would be nice. My Lonely Planet guidebook recommended I check a place on the way.

With time on my side I figured I’d stick with the Rick Steve’s rule of when you show up and have options check three places. The first place I checked was a hotel. When I approached the lobby a woman in a white dress shirt and black leather plants sat at a coffee table with a poker faced man with dark skin and black hair. Both were smoking a cigarette. I asked if they had a room. The woman with a very thick accent, that sounded Russian, said yes. How many nights? I said 2. She showed me the room. It was perfectly fine for $30 euro a night but I was still thinking I should look by the bay.

There’s plenty of accommodation by the bay but you need you need a phone. A lot of the rooms are located in buildings where the manager doesn’t reside. You call and they show up. Anyway, the second place I found was what I had in mind but only available for one night. The third place was kind of weird. When I knocked on the door an older man and younger man, who may or may not have been the son, answered the door. The younger man was wearing nothing but a t-shirt and underwear. They had a room but I wasn’t too interested. So, I figured it was back to the hotel with woman in black leather pants.

On the way back I stopped at a hostel for grins and it was packed with kids. Yep, I am officially at the age where I can call college aged people kids. Why? Because they are. The brain doesn’t fully develop until 25. Anyway, The manager was a super nice and friendly young local guy who spoke really good English. It was worth the stop just to talk with him about the area. He informed me that they had another building where I could get a nice quiet single for $25 euro. He showed it too me but couldn’t confirm that the room was available until his boss got back. I waited awhile for his boss but knew the first place I looked at was good so I might as well grab it while I could.

When I returned to the first place it looked even better and the owner/manger couple turned out to be super nice and friendly. Home for two nights. I dumped my stuff and went for a hike up the old town fortress wall built up into the mountainside. Pretty amazing.

Kotor is quite stunning aside of the very busy main road. Steep rocky mountains with exposed cliffs surround and rise above a salt water bay. The old town, although not as big as Dubrovnik, is just as impressive. Maybe more so in regards to how the city wall is built up high behind the city on a mountainside. My hotel room has a balcony with a wonderful view of it all.

The 10 am bus trip from Dubrovnik was a little long due to border crossings but quite comfortable. The bus was only about ¼ full and very comfortable. I got a couple of more stamps in my new passport which is always kind of fun.

Today I went for an excellent hike up a trail that climbed over 3,000 feet above the valley. There were tremendous views and a nice forest stretch. What’s so nice about Europe is that often times the trail you are walking is an ancient donkey path or something of the sort that leads to a village. The trail I hiked today led to a village and roadside restaurant with an incredible view. I stopped and had a lovely omelet with coffee. I then walked along the road about ½ mile to another village and an airy zipline high across a valley. I did the zipline and descended another trail to join up a little lower to the one I ascended. I saw just a few other hikers so I talked to everyone. A German girl on her own, a Finnish couple, and a British couple. I also meet a couple of young girls who had a map on a smart phone which was very beneficial because I couldn’t find a map anywhere in town. Anyway, not sure where they were from but I’d like to thank them.

At this point I’m picking up the pace. Tomorrow I’m headed to Dormitor National Park. There’s supposed to be some incredible hiking there. I’m on the 11:18 direct bus to Zabljak. So far Montengro feels much more cultural and a tad bit exotic. The people appear more vibrant and come across more outgoing and friendlier than Croatia.


No comments: