June 5, 2018

Dubrovnik



When I got up I couldn’t decide whether or not to go straight to Dubrovnik or jump off at another Island on the way. I have a little bit of a time constraint in relation to all there is to do. I decided to put my trust in the flip of a coin. Either go straight to Dubrovnik or stop at the Island of Korcula on the way. Either way I was taking a ferry. I flipped the coin. It said Dubrovnik. I flipped it again just to be sure. It confirmed Dubrovnik. I immediately bought a ticket for the ferry that would leave in about a hour.

I really don’t care for high speed catamarans. It was crowded, I couldn’t get a window seat, you really can’t walk around much. Throw in a screaming kid or two and it’s not particularly fun. On the flipside it’s still nothing like August crowds and I got to Dubrovnik by lunch time.

Dubrovnik being a proper city as well as well as a major tourist destination means you can spend quite a bit of time messing about finding accommodation. I didn’t want to think about it much and waste time. I found a cafe for lunch with wi-fi and browsed a hotel website for a place to stay. I found a small guest house type of a hotel nearby and figured I could get a better rate if I just showed up. I got the directions off the internet and found it pretty easily. As expected I got a better rate. Like Hvar it’s overlooked by a very hospitable older grandma.

After getting settled I was feeling pretty energetic so I went for a hike up to the top of a tram for a view above the city where I met a lovely lady from South Africa. I thought for a moment I may have been on to something until she mentioned the word “We” and her boyfriend appeared out of nowhere. Funny how that always happens.

So, back down the tram hiking trail and into the impressive walled old town of Dubrovnik. Also, location for “Game of Thrones” if you are into that TV series. I’ve never seen it. Anyway, The old town of Dubrovnik is very impressive. Stone buildings, terracotta roofs, and marble paved streets. All surrounded by a fortress wall that you can walk atop all the way around. The only downside is that its been turned into a bit of a tourist trap with London prices for restaurants serving very average food.

However, it’s all good as you can wander about and get lost on some quieter paths throughout the city. I stopped at the cathedral, which is quite impressive, and lit a candle for my father as two old women prayed aloud. I assume they were praying the rosary. The backdrop of the main alter is filled with a large mural and 16th century painting depicting the “Assumption Of The Virgin”. Thus the name, “The Cathedral of Assumption”. I’m not much one for guided tours but you can really miss out sometimes in a place like Dubrovnik which is so rich in history. I had to access a guidebook for this info.

Dubrovnik is kind of a quick stop for me. Just two nights. Today I returned to the old town and walked atop the wall in it’s entirety. It’s something you definitely have to do at least once when in Dubrovnik. After the walk I found a nice place for a swim in the sea and returned to my accommodation where I cooked dinner. There’s a small community kitchen which is nice. It’s a little bit like a hostel for grownups.

Tomorrow I will leave Croatia for Montenegro. I’ll have to back up what I said in an earlier post as far as cost of travel in Croatia goes. It’s definitely more expensive than I expected with most prices being close to or on par with Western Europe. Especially Dubrovnik. However, I’ve mostly been on the tourist track where everything is bound to cost more. I’ve been told that Montenegro is much more on par for what I’d expect in Eastern Europe. Well, tomorrow it’s a semi early bus across the border at 8:15. I wanted the 10 am but it was full. I was warned not to take the 11 am because it comes from Bosnia and is usually 2 to 3 hours late.


1 comment:

yosabrams0918 said...

I discovered your blog site on google and examine a number of of your early posts. Proceed to keep up the superb operate. I simply extra up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. In search of forward to reading extra from you afterward!… slots for real money