February 24, 2018

Mt Cook Region, New Zealand



After two proper rain days in Geraldine I left the hostel with clear blue skies overhead. The road I wanted to take to Mt Cook was closed due to a washed out bridge but a local told me there was a detour so I thought I’d give it a try anyway. For hitch hiking that is. A good number of cars passed until a van full of Germans stopped to tell me the road was closed. I told them I thought there was a detour. They didn’t know anything about the detour. I stood awhile longer until a car load of Chinese stopped. A young woman rolled down the back window and softly asked where I was going. They were headed to Lake Tekapo which was right on the way to Mt Cook. I put my pack in the back with their luggage and they moved over so I could squeeze into the back seat. There was a detour. It led to the other road the Germans told me I should take. However, had I not been on the closed road I would never have met the Chinese. Funny how things work out.

The two women sitting next to me were in their early 30’s and seemed eager to engage in small conversation. I think they wanted to practice their English. Fair enough. The men sitting in front didn’t have anything to say but the driver was very good and wasn’t messing around getting to Lake Tekapo.

Like most all lakes in the South Island Lake Tekapo is quite beautiful and situated in a broad open valley. The main tourist attraction is a small stone chapel with a large picture window facing the lake. Aside of the setting and window I wouldn’t say the chapel is all that special but for whatever reason it’s on the list for Chinese travelers. They were all over the place taking photos and selfies. I thanked the Chinese for the ride and took a couple of photos with the women. One of the guys shook my hand and I thanked them in Chinese. Sheshia. Not sure how the spelling goes but that’s how it sounds.

So, back to the road. It didn’t take long to get the next ride. Constantine, a 29 year old from Germany, stopped with his 1988 Toyota camper van. I told him where I was going and he said he would take me. Constantine had been driving around New Zealand for awhile and was scheduled to start a Mtn climbing course in a couple of days. He had some time on his hands.

Constantine reminded me more of someone from Italy or France. Not so structured, easy going, and relaxed. As it turns out part of his family is from Italy and he lives close to France. We hit it off and he gave me some tips on what to see and do in the area while driving me straight to the Mt Cook visitors center and campground. He also told me of a hike he heard about up Wakefield ridge. It’s a non maintained trail that ascends steeply from the valley and follows a long ridge to Mt Wakefield. We decided to meet the next morning and at the very least hike up the ridge. The rain that fell while I was in Geraldine brought a fair amount of snow to the high peaks. Constantine and I figured we would go as far as we could on the ridge as long as it was safe.

Constantine picked me up at the campground the next day at 8am as planned. We found the trail to Wakefield ridge with no problem and started hiking straight up. Once we gained the ridge the views were absolutely spectacular. We followed the ridge for about a mile until we ran into snow. The summit was still a long ways away considering. Snow, wet loose rock, and exposure caused us to make a fairly quick decision that it wasn’t safe. It was already a great hike in of itself so we just spent time enjoying being up there. And, we had it all to ourselves as we didn’t see anyone else.

After the hike we grabbed a couple of beers at Mt Cook village then drove up another valley for a short hike near Tasman Glacier for a view. At the end of the day Constantine took me back to the campground and we parted ways as he needed to get ready for a mountaineering course that was starting the next day.

The following morning the weather was spectacular again so I hiked up to the Muller Hut and beyond to the summit of Mt Olivier which is the first Mountain that Sir Edmund Hillary ever climbed. I imagine he was quite young at the time. It’s not a difficult climb. Just a bit of rock scrambling. No snow, ice or glaciers. The view across the valley from the Muller Hut and Mt Olivier is pretty outrageous. The photo at the top of this post was taken on the hike up.

Well, after three great weather days things have turned. I am sitting in a cafe about a mile from the campground. It’s windy as heck and the forecast is predicting heavy rain. The wind is getting stronger and gust are predicted to reach 60+ miles per hour. I have my lightweight tent pitched in a pretty good spot with some protection but not great. A sensible person would have have packed camp this morning and found some accommodation for the night but good luck. Everything is more or less booked unless you want to pay. Hostels or anything reasonable are totally booked. Some tents were already flattened this morning but I’m sticking it out. I think I’ll be fine. If worse comes to worse I can move into the campground cooking shelter. Several moved in last night when the wind started.

As for now I am in Mt Cook village a mile away. There’s a nice visitors center with a museum that highlights New Zealand’s rich climbing history. After all, Sir Edmund Hillary, a native New Zealander, was the first to reach Mt Everest with Sherpa Tenzing. In the village there’s also a hostel and a couple of hotels. The Hermitage is nicest hotel with 5 star views for over $200 USD a night. It’s stays fully booked through the season. The cafe at the hermitage offers some reasonably priced food and is a good place to hang out. However, as I look at how the wind is picking up I am a little concerned about my camp. The sideways rain is concerning. The wind is supposed to stop tonight with the rain ending by sunrise. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice. I’ll let you know how it went in my next post.

No comments: