February 13, 2018

A Nice Day In Wellington



Today was a nice day. One of the better days I’ve had in awhile. I awoke, formed a plan for the rest of my time in New Zealand, bought a couple of tickets, booked a hotel for later, and went for a nice hike/walk. The weather was more or less perfect.

I left the Northland of New Zealand a couple of days ago. At first I had a couple of beautiful days up there then the weather turned consistently fowl. When I left it was during the fourth day of rain. Sometimes the rain was light and other times quite heavy. I had a good visit with Deb that turned out to be seven days in total which is kind of what I had in mind. The place she’s caretaking is really nice but a little bit isolated. Just enough to make it kind of difficult to get away without some sort of transportation. She walked the mile with me to the road where I had to hitch a short ride in the rain to Kaoe. For there I caught a bus to Auckland where I walked around for awhile before catching an overnight bus to Wellington a the southern tip of the North Island.

Wellington is my favorite city in New Zealand. It has all I like in a city. It’s built on hills and mountains that flow down to a harbor. There is plenty of culture and arts. Coffee shops are everywhere. People tend to be very active. I’ve been amazed by how many people I see running on trails during the middle of the day on a weekday. The university draws a lot of young people which keeps things fresh and new as well as the artists. And like most all of New Zealand people are nice.

In places such as New Zealand, Australia, and Europe some Universities turn a dorm or two into a hotel in the summer for budget travelers. It can be a very good value. In Wellington I was able to book three nights at Te Puni Village which is a dorm complex for Victoria University. It’s built on a hillside overlooking the city and harbor. For around $43 USD I get my own room with breakfast. I am on the top floor with an amazing view. Considering the cost of New Zealand is on par with more expensive regions of Western Europe, it’s a very good deal. Ah, and it’s quiet as well. The students move back in around February 24. You have to remember that the seasons are opposite south of the equator.

Anyway, today was a really nice day. Not just because of the lovely weather but because I felt more like myself. I did a walk that started from my accommodation on the University grounds. I found the Northern Walkway at the botanic gardens where it begins. From there it’s a 10 mile route into the hills that eventually climbs up for a spectacular view atop of Mt Kaukau. Beyond the summit the path continues down to conveniently end at a train station for a very pleasant ride back to the city.

I finished my day with a nice Miso Ramen at a Japanese place before heading up the hill at the end of Vivian street to Te Puni village. Wellington has a very good variety of places to eat. Tomorrow I’ll have another full day in the city and there’s supposed to be more nice weather.

No comments: