February 15, 2018

Matiu/Somes Island, NZ



One of the things I’ve learned while traveling for an extended period of time with a loose plan is that when you find yourself in a place you like you should really consider staying a little longer than anticipated. I like Wellington and it just seems to suit me right now so I inquired if it would be possible to stay a little longer. I also asked how much I had paid for the first three nights. Well, I had the exchange rate mixed up and actually I’ve been paying around $33 USD for a top floor single room with a view. Breakfast included. They said I could stay until the 18th. After that the building is vacated and prepared for students to move back in on the 25th. Campus stays in the summer are a real bargain but sometimes you kind of have to seek them out. I just lucked into this one via the internet.

Naturally I had to tweek the plans I made a couple of days ago but it was no problem. So, I’ve extended my time in Wellington by 3 days. My revised travel plans are better than the original. I need not fret over any decisions for the next few days as I have it all worked out. I don’t generally like to plan too much but sometimes a little structure is good as it keeps me moving forward more efficiently. Sometimes I can become indecisive with too many options coupled with no specific goals or direction. Being totally open can make one available for some great last minute options but if your not still moving forward with some sort of a loose plan a lot of time can be wasted going nowhere.

Everyday I’ve been doing some interesting. Today I went to Matiu/Somes Island. It’s a nature preserve and only a 20 to 25 minute small ferry ride away. There’s a network of hiking trails and great views all around. It once served as a quarantine station for immigrants, an internment camp for 80 or so Italian/German POW’s during WW2, and then a quarantine station for livestock which ended in the mid 1990’s. Atop the highest point are the concrete remains of several foundations that once supported large guns to protect the bay from enemy boats during WW2. Now it’s a very peaceful place to visit and makes for a nice day trip.

One of the things I’ve been kind of missing out on in Wellington is meeting people. I guess I’ve been more content to kind of keep to myself. I haven’t been running into any real characters but I will say I have noticed a couple of odd looking folks during breakfast. The breakfast crowd is a mix of mostly college aged kids of different nationalities that appear to be participating in some sort of group trip, workshop, seminar, travel, I don’t know. I did meet a really nice young woman from Canada in the floor common area who is a physiotherapist that has relocated to Wellington for a new job. She was booked in while finding a place to live. Anyway, we got to talking and one of her specialties is working with cardiologist and heart patients which related to some of the issues my father had before passing. We talked for awhile and I told her about what my father had gone through etc. She was very good at conveying her knowledge and it made me feel more like the right decisions were made in the final days before my father passed. It’s funny how at times a chance meeting can lead to a conversation that’s very pertinent and can make you feel better.

As for now I’ve got a couple of more full days in Wellington then I’ll hop a ferry for the South Island. The photo above is a picture from Matiu/Somes Island with Wellington in the distance.


No comments: