March 12, 2016

Wanaka















After the Milford Track I spent one night in Te Anau then caught a late morning bus to Queenstown. Queenstown is an internationally known destination for outdoor activities, skiing, and adrenalin sports such as bungy jumping and skydiving. The town, if not small city, sits next to a large lake with mountains all around. The setting is quite beautiful, however, its trendy popularity attracts loads of tourists which creates a not so relaxed vibe. Aside of the average Joe arriving alone or via packaged tour, Queenstown is a magnet for young college aged kids looking for a party after the adrenalin rush of jumping off a bridge connected to a large rubber band, etc. It’s a party town.

I arrived mid-afternoon and checked into Flaming Kiwi Backpackers for a budget single. It was a good thing I booked ahead as town was packed. I spent the remainder of the afternoon checking out the area and walking around a park. I stood in line for nearly half an hour to get a Fergburger which is a local rave. The meat patty was very good but New Zealand burgers are skimpy with cheese, loaded with garlic mayonnaise and full of some kind of relish. The taste is quite different from an American burger but good nonetheless. The big upside is that often times the beef is grass fed and local.

I enjoyed an afternoon wandering around Queenstown, especially since the weather was so good, but I don’t much care for the feel of the place. At the hostel I felt like the odd man out. I don’t think many or any of the people staying there were over 25. It was Friday night and a lot of people were drinking. Fortunately, the hostel was well managed and at 10:30 all of the common areas were cleared by management which meant the drinkers went out for the rest of the night. My room was tucked in the back so it was pretty quiet, however, I could hear drunk kids all night long, in the distance, as they a passed along a nearby street. One night in Queenstown was enough.

This morning, Saturday, I caught an early bus to Wanaka. When I first visited Wanaka in 1989 it was a sleepy idyllic town with everything to offer for someone seeking an outdoor lifestyle. It was still undiscovered. Oh well, now, today, it’s definitely been discovered.

Wanaka like Queenstown sits next to a lake surrounded by mountains. It’s much more built up than the last time I was here and now attracts loads of tourists. Fortunately, it’s still pretty laid back. I consider Wanaka to be a mature version of Queenstown minus trendy hype, adrenalin sports, and partying twenty somethings. It has a nice feel.

Tonight I am checked into a budget single at Holly’s backpackers. I feel quite comfortable and fit in with the company of a broad age range of guests. Today I went on a hike up small peak and walked all over town. After that I was motivated to go for a short run so I did. I’m in Wanaka for two nights so tomorrow I plan to get in a good hike weather permitting.

No comments: