March 13, 2016

Roy's Peak - Atmospheric Views

Out the door around 8 Am. I grabbed a cinnamon roll from a local bakery and walked along Lake Wanaka. The skies were cloudy but temperature comfortable. Somehow a wasp, or what we call a Yellow Jacket back in the states, got caught between my sock and the tongue of my boot. It stung the heck out of me but I paid little attention and kept on walking. After a few miles I cut left across a farmer’s field to access the road near Roy’s Peak trailhead.

From the trailhead it was a steady uphill climb on an old 4wd road as it switch backed up steep grassy mountainside good for grazing sheep. The clouds blew in a little more as the sky was totally overcast. The summit was shrouded in fog but there wasn’t much wind. I continued climbing and felt really good. Like my old self, strong, steady and clear. It began to rain lightly.

The old road narrowed in spots and began to look a little more like a trail. Higher up the path crossed the ridge West of the summit to avoid a rough cliffy section to sneak up the back. I continued into cloud fog and up to the summit hosting a radio tower. It took me less than 2 hours of steady hiking to reach the peak from the trailhead. The rain stopped.

The top wasn’t particularly hospitable so I didn’t hang around long. There wasn’t much to see. I descended quickly below the cloud to access the view and allowed myself plenty of time to take it in and collect photos. I remarked to myself that it was an atmospheric day for scenery with mixed shades of light. About halfway down the clouds began to dissipate. I passed many hikers going up who had opted for a late start. By time I reached bottom the mountain was clear and blue sky was showing in patches.

I hiked Mt Roy in 1989 and wanted to do it again on this trip. In ’89 I don’t recall seeing another hiker anywhere on the mountain, just a farmer and some sheep. Now it seems to be quite popular, especially with young Germans.

On the bus ride from Te Anau to Queenstown I sat next to a German man in his mid 50’s. He was especially talkative for a German man his age and I suspected it was because he was traveling alone. I think he was a little lonely. I wasn’t much in the mood for conversation but we chatted awhile. I commented on the number of young Germans traveling New Zealand. He explained how their culture has changed and that kids right out of high school are now encouraged to take a gap year. Many are encouraged to travel and see the world before they pursue their occupational interest. New Zealand is safe, easy, and loaded with great things to do. It’s especially safe for young women. Also, the way things work and function is not much different from European and American culture. It suits Germans well.

I retraced my steps along the lakeshore back to Wanaka to make it approximately 15 or 16 miles for a 7 hour out and back hike. On the town waterfront I ordered a lamb kebab from a Turkish takeaway shop and headed home, to the hostel. It was nice to just feel like my old self, steady, strong and clear.

Tomorrow I’ll hop a bus to Franz Joseph which is known for a cool Glacier. I plan to get in a hike, soak up the scenery, and relax. After Franz Joseph I’ll be heading to Nelson for a few days then back to Texas.

No comments: