August 9, 2014

Scheveningen - The Dutch Coast


Well Amsterdam wasn’t really my cup of Tea. Don’t get me wrong. It’s a nice and interesting city but I wasn’t feelin it. It seemed to be overrun by 20 something’s seeking what I’d rather avoid. For me it was a disconnect as I wasn’t meeting anyone and felt a little out of place. I never made it to the Van Gogh gallery nor did I take a boat ride through the canals. It was cloudy and threatening rain as I headed back to the campground for my last night in the area.
When I awoke the next day, after a noisy night, I figured I’d go to the Dutch coast. I spent about 5 minutes online finding and booking a cheap hotel that said it was near a beach. All I had was a confirmation number, address, and town name, Scheveningen. Located near The Hague. I hadn’t stayed in a hotel since June.

At the Amsterdam Central train station I reasoned it made the most sense to simply buy a ticket to The Hague and figure it out from there. Upon arrival I exited the station to a trolley stand and gave them the name and address of where I was trying to get. A young woman looked it up on her I-phone and told me which tram and where to get off. I guessed on what direction the hotel might be and stopped at a pet store to ask for directions. The owner of the shop, in a heavy Dutch accent said, “Your warm, very close!”, and pointed me the right direction. I then found it easily.
Check in was in one building and my accommodation was in another. I was directed to the other building. The Hotel is made up of two adjoining Victorian era row houses that have been converted. The stairs are very steep and the doors slam loudly. I share a toilet in the hall with one other room. A large window for my small accommodation faces a courtyard. Having traveled enough in Europe it’s exactly what I expected. Given the price I’d consider it fair but not a bargain. However, the included breakfast is pretty good which adds value.

For me the hotel is comfortable and the location is fantastic. When I asked the desk clerk what was the fastest way to the beach he gave me a funny look. It’s literally 5 minutes out the door to the left. If you didn’t have to cross streets it would be a 3 minute walk.
After a swim in the water, a walk in the sand, and a couple of beers of at one of the many beachside bar/restaurants I decided Schenveningen is a 3 night stop and paid for an extra night.

Since arriving I’ve naturally spent time on the beach, gone for a run, and went for a nice bike ride amidst the extensive seaside dunes. I’ve also spent a lot of time simply hanging out in the hotel room surfing the net and pondering my next step.
This morning, Saturday, I booked a ferry back to the UK. Just after doing so I walked to the beach to see a wild Sea. A gale blew in overnight and the ocean that looked nice and calm yesterday turned wild and mean by this morning. The wind was whipping beach sand up in the air to form a light haze. Not many people were lounging on the beach but many were out to view the disoriented waters as kite surfer’s zipped around flying off the tops of waves with their small canopies. An angry sea is captivating to watch from shore.

Well, it wasn’t long before the ocean had it’s way with a small craft and 4 passengers. At first I couldn’t tell what was going on but I spotted an overturned boat not far from shore with people clinging to the hull. Search and rescue quickly arrived. I could see in the distance another hard wave hit and all of the passengers were thrown away from the boat. One was able to swim ashore but the rest appeared to be caught in a tough current. All had bright yellow life preservers. Soon a helicopter flew overhead as two boats and light watercraft searched for the others. In the end all passengers were rescued and eventually the boat washed ashore. The whole deal was interesting to watch. All the while I was thinking, “What the hell were those people on the boat thinking?” So, that was two hours of my day as a curious beach spectator.
In the afternoon I couldn’t resist cautiously getting my feet wet. Just a short distance from the shore the waves look a lot bigger. I never got deeper than my waist but at one point I felt a hard rip current about mid-thigh which motivated me to get out. Still, it felt nice to get a little salt water on the skin.

The seaside area known as Scheveningen is a full on summertime resort lined with trendy beachside restaurants and an impressive grand old hotel. The crowd is a nice mix. Although it’s fairly busy it’s not overcrowded. The vibe is chill compared to Amsterdam. The beach is broad and sandy. The Hague is a very short distance to the east and the area north and south is full of dune mixed with scrub and patches of forest. The dunes have a nice network of hiking trails and bike paths. It’s all very beautiful for what it is.
Tomorrow I’ll set sail back to the UK. Having been to the UK a number of times and always getting on well with the Brits, England feels like I’m halfway home. I plan to do some walking before I go back to the States.

In a way I should probably go home now. I pretty much feel like I’ve done enough this time around. Although I’m flying on a ticket with an open return August flights are heavily booked so it takes some persistent effort and a little luck to make any change without extra charges. I do have a reservation for the very beginning of September. Needless to say it’s still hot in Houston and September will be here in a flash. There’s really no reason to rush back. Maybe I’ve had my fill for other reasons.
For the last 10 years I’ve been pretty consistent with the “World Traveler Thinker” thing. It’s been a magnificent period of keeping life interesting. There have been several points over the past years where I’ve expressed intentions and need for certain changes. While some intentions have been fulfilled and a little bit of change has happened I’ve clung to the path of least resistance and have put off and postponed long enough. All that I’ve seen and done has got to amount to something other than just fulfilling my own desires. I'd like to think that I’ve at least entertained and inspired a few so I’ll assume I have. At the very least I’ve been providind a public diary of story’s and photo’s for my mother to know where I am and what I’m doing.

When I get back to the States I will definitely be changing my home base by moving to a different living space. I will do that first but I am not sure if I will stay in Houston or not. I will continue to do what I do to make money but I will shift my priorities to make room for other pursuits. The hardest part will be how to not fall into the same old patterns. After all, my old patterns are not bad. They are just prohibiting me form living up to my true potential. Not to sound egocentric but I feel like I’ve been cutting myself way to short for way to long.
So, with a good 3 weeks to walk with a backpack I believe this is where I need to shift my thinking. It’s time to top it off, play it out, and move it on.



No comments: