August 6, 2014

Amsterdam

Monday - August 4

Section 2 was packed with tents. Kind of like a music festival. Young college aged kids sat around talking with reggae music playing and a hint of some kind of odd smell in the air. I was told to camp in section 2 but made an executive decision to move to section 1, which was less packed and seemingly mellower. The best spot was tucked in a corner but it was all dirt and destined to be a mud pit if it should rain. I settled for a grassy slice real estate next to a hedge. Urban camping, Amsterdam.
Joyce and Gert accompanied me as I chose my spot in the campground. As Joyce voiced earlier, Amsterdam would be very different. We said our goodbyes and I set up my tent, checked out the dirty bathrooms, and surmised I was one of the very few under the age of 25. I then went walkabout looking for the ferry across a broad canal to central station.

Stepping out of central station was not appealing. Crowds of people pushed along the sidewalks narrowed by road construction as I shuffled along. I soon arrived at a square where a large group was gathered around a busker with a filthy mouth. I failed to see the humor. My first impression of Amsterdam was not very good.
Amsterdam is so cliché in a lot of ways. It’s European backpacking 101 for college students seeking a cheap flight, legal weed in coffee shops and the possibility of a relatively safe fling in the red light district. These are very reasons why I’ve avoided Amsterdam for so long minus a cheap flight through the airport.

As I fought through the crowds I formed a plan. Move further beyond central, find a supermarket for a cheap lunch, and look for a relatively quiet side street with a local bar.
Well, I found a supermarket and a quiet spot on a side street and sat next to a canal to eat lunch. I then stopped at a bar for a quick beer. From there I stumbled into a vintage vinyl record shop. Feeling better I found a nice local neighborhood with good people watching and planted myself on a barstool overlooking the sidewalk. Jazz, soul, and obscure pop played as very easy going waiters served the mixed yet young clientele. I started to chill out and as I drew the comparison of Amsterdam being like San Francisco without the hills. Instead it has canals. The outlying neighborhoods are quite lovely.

The Ann Frank house was at the top of my list so after beers I stood in line for close to 2 hours. Tourist information said it would only be a 30 minute wait at 7 pm but it wasn’t. While in line I talked with a young Vietnamese couple that now lives and works in Zurich, Switzerland. They said after moving to Switzerland everything outside of Switzerland seems cheap. Especially in Vietnam! I also met an Israeli family on vacation.
It was very interesting visiting the home of Anne Frank, void of furniture, but the push and shove of crowds detracted from a more reflective experience. Amsterdam is very busy right now. After all, it’s August, the busiest time of the summer tourist season.

Tuesday - August 5

I retired to my tent around 11 pm but noise kept me up most of the night. Being camped amongst a crowd on college aged kids made me feel my age. However, the noise wasn’t really too loud. It was just loud enough and went all night.
In the morning I scooted out of my tent and laced up my running shoes before deciding what to do with myself. The campground borders a nature preserve with trails so I started there. I then found my way along some canals, through a village next to a marina, and atop a dike. I ran back and forth over a bridge for grins and retraced my steps to the campsite. The area is really quite nice and after a really enjoyable run I re-assessed the camping situation.

I roamed all over the campground and realized it is much bigger than I thought. Field 1 and 2 appeared to be all young backpackers. Area 3 was for campervans and such while area 4 looked to be for families and older folks. I inquired at the office and they indeed agreed that area 4 was much quieter so I packed camp and moved. The area is much nicer and feels better so I think it will be ok. Feeling good about my new site I left and walked the 20 minutes to the ferry for a another day in the city.
First I visited a Church then I went to the famed Red Light district which is really Bizarre. Of course 12 noon isn’t prime time for working gals but there were some workaholics nonetheless. Down one alley they taunt men while standing at a door. Along the canal they sit in windows and either act interested or browse their smart phones only to glance up occasionally. Just a couple of the women looked remotely appealing in a novelty sort of way. The rest looked like a bad dream. Well, at least for me they did. In a way I think Amsterdam tries to make prostitution a respectable business. Museums honor the profession.

Strolling out of the Red Light district I entered a coffee shop for a simple cup of coffee and got punched in the face by a cloud of pot smoke. Amsterdam caters wonderfully to the Marijuana enthusiast. The city is well set up for debauchery with its target market being young folks. Amsterdam right now seems very young. Perhaps it’s because it’s summer.
I eventually found my way to the old Heineken brewery where they have turned it into the Heineken experience, a brilliant marketing scheme. First off, they don’t call it a brewery tour but you do get to see some old copper kettles. The tour consists of not only museum like displays but many interactive medias such as a video, photo shots with Heineken logos, a lesson in properly pouring beer etc.,. The most creative part was a movie combined with a vibrating floor and special effects to mimic how beer is made from the grain to bottle to distribution. It was very clever and kind of hard to describe. The entire experience cost me 16 euros which was discounted 2 euros with a coupon and included 2 beers. At the end of the deal I won a quiz question before a large group and was awarded an extra beer. When you leave they give you a small glass. Due to the extensive creative factor I’d say you get a fair value. Again, it appeared as though 98% of the crowd was college aged. I found conversation with no one.

Wednesday - August 6

My second night at the campground was much better. A father and son camped next to me was kind of annoyingly loud but went to sleep at a reasonable time. Other than that it’s fine. I started the day with a run and am now in a legitimate coffee shop bar with atmosphere and good music.
Today is my third day in the city and I will move on tomorrow. Three days is enough for me. Due to summer crowds I think August is the worst time to visit. The canals, architecture, and mixed café culture give the place a lot of character with characters. The downside to me are the drug tourists which is a little too apparent in my eyes. Not only do people smoke pot in cafés they also do it openly in public. I really prefer not to be around it and find the smell to be nauseating. It also attracts an element that I prefer not to be around. The upside is that most people are pretty mellow if not a little spacey.

Today I’ll roam around for a while, probably take a ride on a canal boat, and debate dealing with crowds at the Van Gogh museum.
 

No comments: