August 12, 2014

One The Move - Holland To England


After three nights in Scheveningen I hopped a couple of local busses to the International Ferry Port in Hook of Holland. I chose to take the overnight ferry to England and had booked my ticket online. Departure time was 9:30 pm but boarding started at 7 pm. I was one of the first in line.
With the overnight ferry a cabin is mandatory. I booked the cheapest single which cost a little over $50 USD. It turned out to be a very good value. For me it was quite luxurious with modern en-suite bathroom and a nice TV with numerous channels. The bed was very comfortable.

The common area was all on one level and a little like a cruise ship with a couple of bars, restaurant, cinema, and quiet area set up in a very homey fashion. Food and drink prices were not overly inflated.
Sleep was pretty good but the seas were just rough enough to cause me to wake up a few times.  A gentle rock from side to side was interrupted by choppy bumps, however, I never felt seasick. The night ferry, if it’s on time, actually arrives around 4:30 am. A wakeup call doesn’t happen until 5:30 am with disembarking starting at 6:30 am.

UK immigration goes quick and exits into a train station with regular service to London. To be on the safe side I bought an advance purchase ticket for 8:30 am. I booked with a buffer in case of any delay. The cheapest tickets are time specific and cannot be used for any other train. In the UK you really have to be careful about buying a ticket the same day at the station. Ticket prices can vary wildly. For example, Harwich to London advance purchase can cost between $20 to $55 USD for the same day depending on time of trip. The pricing scheme seems somewhat random and really doesn’t make much sense. If you show up the day of to buy a ticket at the counter it’s kind of like rolling the dice. The only exception is on local short routes or the London tube where the price is fixed.
I decided to spend a night in London on my way to the Southwest coast and found good reasonably priced accommodation at a student housing complex near Canary Warf. In some places student dorms and the like are turned into hostel/budget accommodation for the tourist season. For around $38 USD I had my own single room with shared bathroom down the hall.  The place was quite nice and a total bargain for London. The only hitch was a key deposit which amounted to over $50 USD! It was that or leave my passport at the desk which I wasn’t going to do, especially since it’s my only form of identification right now.

I spent the day in London visiting the best travel book store in the world, Standford’s, where I bought some guidebooks for the Southwest Coast Path. Since the bookstore is located near the National Portrait Gallery, which is free, I stopped in for a visit. There you can see famous original paintings of Royals dating back the 1400’s. There is also an original Portrait of Shakespeare that is believed to be the only one done in real life.  I ended my day in London by walking by the famous tall ship, Cutty Sark, and having a pint at a pub of the same name.
Today I finally made it to the Southwest Coast of England after a long travel day from London. The train to my destination, Teignmouth, was around $78 USD, a bus with local train was around $28. I chose the bus option. Whereas the train would have been easy and taken a little over 3 hours the bus turned out to take around 7.5 hours due to a late start, traffic, and some mechanical issue. The delay of start was supposed to be due to the bus being cleaned but when it arrived it was filthy with oil smudge marks on the windows from previous passengers, dirty chair trays, etc. I was not impressed with the bus but I guess you get what you pay for.

With three full days of travel and feeling fatigued I opted to take the money I saved by riding the bus and got a room at a B&B I stayed in 3 years ago, almost exactly to the date. Tomorrow I will start hiking along the Southwest Coast Path picking up where I left off.
The Southwest Coast Path is England’s longest national trail. It hugs the coasts of Dorset, Devon, and Cornwall for over 600 miles. Three years ago I covered the first 130 miles starting in Poole. This time I’ll see how far I get until it’s time to fly home.

No comments: