May 11, 2011

More Mountain Roads and Local Busses















Today and yesterday have been rest days in Shangri-la. Internet access has been really tough so forgive me of any repititious continuity flaws of the last three posts. Today I went on a nice walk up to a large Tibetan temple as monks went about their daily chores.

Tomorrow I will head off on a two day 400 km bus journey over what is suupposed to be spectacular mountain scenery. I'll be leaving Yunnan for the spicey province of Sichuan. My destination for this segment is Litaing.

I don't think many western travelers follow the route I'll be taking. Most backtrack to Kunming and head up to Chengdu but that seems rather uninteresting in comparison to the high wide open country near the Tibetan boarder. The first day takes around 9 hours to get to a village for a night. The next day takes around 5 to 6 hours to get to Litaing. I question if I'll see any other westerners until Litaing but you never know.

I'm not sure what to expect or what the roads are like. There's only one bus a day that leaves at 8 am. I'm sure I'll be packed in with a load of locals for an authentic better or worse experience. Yes, the real western China. Isn't that what I'm looking for?

No comments: