September 26, 2009

Special Thanks.... Rishikesk to Haridwar


September 25, 2009 – Well, I’m traveling on my own but not witout taking a moment to give special thanks to Neeraj and Ankur for all their help in getting me started on my travels in India. Neeraj’s help began when I first arrived and he and his brother in law picked me up at the Delhi airport. This was epecially helpful considering I’ve never been to India and I arrived at night. Neeraj’s sister and brother in law’s hospitaliy with meals and a place to stay my first two days made for a very easy start. It allowed me to shake some jet lag, adjust to the food etc. Ankur was the one who took care of all the details pertaining to our trip to the Himalaya which is certainly a hightlight. I’d also like to thank Ankur’s mother who fixed all of our meals while in Rishikesh. She kept us especially well fed…. All the while Neeraj has been a true friend looking out for my welfare and making sure I understand how things work in India. In a country with so many contrasts a traveler can get mixed impressions about the Indian people but Neeraj and Ankur, as well as their family, respresent some of the finest people you will ever meet.

Rishikesh to Haridwar - September 25, 2009 - As they say in the UK, “I’m on my Todd”. That’s an expression that means your on your own. Kind of ironic considering my name is Todd. Anyway, I said my goodbyes to Neeraj and Ankur after breakfast this morning. Neeraj and I will likely cross paths again for a day or two in the beginning of October but now it’s all up to me to deal with the details. The good thing is that I think I’m getting the hang of this India travel thing.

I left Rishiskesh today around noon for Haridwar. I took an auto rickshaw to the bus station which is basically a big open dirt area where buses park and asked around for which bus was going to Haridwar. When I got on it was almost full but I found a seat next to a middle aged man named Ganga. He was traveling with nothing but a wire carry rack that contained an assortment of foggy massage oil bottles. He pointed to a small painted sign on the rack that stated the rates or whatever. So much paint was chipped and worn that it was totally illegible. He was a very nice man and asked me where I was from.

The bus was standard 3rd world. Worn, dirty, and full of people. It was hot and humid and with no breeze I was soaked in sweat within a few minutes. Kind of like a prison hot box or something but everyone seemed to be ok with it and waited until the driver felt it was packed enough to go. Finally, the bus took off with all windows open and the driver exhibiting some of the finest horn honking skills I have seen in India thus far. The conductor came around and collected the 20 ruppee (40 cent fare) for the 1 hour trip.

Upon my arrival in Haridwar I took my time finding a Hotel and settled on a nice quiet place for approx. $12 USD. I also bought a train ticket to Delhi for tomorrow where I’ll immedaitely hop another train for Varanassi, India’s most holy city. I thought that I would have to take a bus to Delhi and wasn’t looking forward to it but I’ve discovered the wizardry of local booking agents. I easily secured a ticket on a train that I thought was unavailable. He just went to a site and made it happen. I was very happy to get the ticket but I felt a little ripped off by the extra added commission he alotted for himself. 88 ruppees! I then took a step back and converted it in my head. Oh, that’s about $2 USD. It’s funny, but what I’m discovering is that if your willing to spend a few extra dollars here and there it can make life traveling in India much more pleasant. As a budget traveler you do have to what it though because as we all know a dollar here and there can really add up.

No comments: