September 24, 2009

Down From The Himalaya - Next Stop Haridwar


September 24, 2009 - I’m back in Rishiskesh after a nice trip to the Himalaya. Today’s bus trip back down the hills was exhausting. I sat cramped next to the window with my pack at my feet and a person to my right. The driver drove aggressively around the corners and stopped periodically to drop off or pick up people. I was mildly nauseous the entire 8 hour trip. Getting around India isn’t easy and spending time in the mountains adds an extra challenge. Having stayed at $8 USD a night accommodations for the last few nights I decided to step it and splurge on a very nice business class hotel at $30 USD for the night.

Every day I see something bizarre. Today I saw women walking with propane tanks on their head. I also saw a couple of Sadhus wearing nothing but mud smeared all over their body. Sadhus are wondering holy men in search of god. They denounce all worldly things in their search for the divine. I guess some even deny clothing. You see Sadhus frequently around India but I’ve never seen the kind like I saw today.
Tomorrow I’ll go the Haridwar for a day then make my way to Varanasi.

No comments: