September 24, 2009

Bananas and Peanuts for Dinner - It's Safe!

September 23, 2009 - Not much to the town of Chamoli. It’s just a stop on our way back to Rishikesh. We checked into Hotel Heaven for 400 rupees (approx $8.25) and I surveyed the area for a place to eat. The best option appeared to be the hotel restaurant. The seating area looked pretty good but the open air kitchen right next to a busy road with stray dogs eating scraps dampened my appetite. Although the kitchen looked relatively orderly the cooks and staff wore dirty clothes. I looked for another place but settled on a dinner of 2 bananas, packaged peanuts, and cookies. I wasn’t up for rolling the dice tonight. Staying healthy while traveling India can be a challenge. I’ve heard countless stories from other travelers whose tour of India included a stay or at least a visit to a hospital. I’ve visited other 3rd world and developing countries but the Indian culture in particular seems to have very poor hygienic standards. Anyone who has traveled here would agree. For example, I talked with one traveler who said while traveling Thailand he eats everything but while traveling India he’s extremely picky. So far, knock on wood, I’m doing ok and have been sticking to cooked vegetarian foods. I just have to resort to packaged snacks from time to time to get by on. When in the more developed or touristy areas the choices are much better and eating out isn’t too much of a problem.

No comments: