February 3, 2016

Totara Slope















On Monday I arrived at Totara Slope near Te Puna. I caught a ride with a German from the hostel in Tainui early to Thames. In Thames I dropped my pack at tourist information and went for a lengthy walk along a bay and up to a WW1 monument then down and around for a big loop. Thames is an old gold mining town from the 1800’s. Some of the homes and buildings reminded me of the kind of structures you see in old mining towns of the American West.

A bus took me from Thames to Te Puna where Dave greeted me at the drop off. I had gotten in touch with Dave and Janice via the New Zealand woofing site. Woofing is a popular program that creates opportunities for individuals to do volunteer work in exchange for room and board. It's mostly farm related work of some sort. Woofing is also intended to provide a way for travelers and the like to meet and connect with locals of different cultures in a more authentic fashion.

Dave and Janice are close to my age and own a plot of land right outside of Te Puna. The land is more or less a steep brush filled gully with lots of trees, ferns, and palms. A small creek runs through the bottom. The land had not been developed and given the steepness etc. they bought it at a good price. Since purchasing the property they have built a nice open air home up top and a small cabin (Bach) down at the bottom by a creek. They have also added some other structures such as sheds, green house, and a fixed caravan. The place is set up like a nature reserve with a garden and small trail that leads to the bottom. It’s not a large property but there is a lot of variety. With a gully forming a canyon of sorts and the home built up top there’s a nice view across the property.

Some woofers have stayed for weeks at a time but I was just looking at a few days. Upon arrival Dave and Janice gave me a full tour and it's really interesting to see what they have done. My accommodation is a caravan with access to a toilet and outside shower. Dave and Janice couldn’t be nicer. They are very hospitable and welcoming.

My work has been mostly mowing steep hillside with a weed eater. The slope adds a bit of challenge with footing otherwise it’s not particularly difficult work. The one thing I like about mowing is that you can see steady progress for a feeling of instant gratification. Sleeping in the Caravan has been great and the dinners are very nice with local New Zealand meats and vegetables from the garden. 

Yesterday after mowing in the morning I went to Mt Mongonui near Tauranga to hike a small volcano near a beach town. Today I more or less finished what needed mowing and have spent the day hanging out on property. This will be a short stay as I will leave tomorrow.

My time spent woofing is brief but it’s given me a chance to check it out and take the experience for a test drive of sorts. I probably would stay longer but in all honesty I don’t really feel like working. I’ve always said when I work I work and when I travel I travel. Also, I’ve been feeling a little unusually tired lately which makes it hard for me to really be motivated for work I’m not particularly interested in doing in the first place.

My favorite part of the stay has been evening meals and sleeping in the Caravan. I have to admit with my inner ear problem I am not functioning at 100%. I need to be flexible day by day, take it easy when I feel tired, and go for it on days I feel good. Feeling obligated in any kind of work arrangement adds an element of stress. I read a book about Meniere’s disease before I left on this trip. Aside of the hearing and vertigo issues it does cause a certain amount of fatigue from time to time. I theorize that the brain, in its process of compensating for balance and dizziness, can cause one to feel and little more tired than usual at times. Maybe weed eating for a couple of hours while trying to balance on the side of hill like a mountain goat may not have been the best thing for me right now. Tomorrow I’ll travel on to Turangi and Tongariro National park. The weather is supposed to be lowsey the next couple of days but I hope to get in some hiking soon.

No comments: