February 21, 2016

Akaroa















It’s hard to go just about anywhere in New Zealand without seeing someone with a backpack. The country has turned into a major backpacker destination. Getting around is easy, the scenery is stunning everywhere and people are extremely nice. It’s probably about the safest place in the world for a single woman to travel alone and many do. However, it’s not particularly inexpensive. For me, it’s reasonable in part due to the US dollar’s strength against the New Zealand dollar. Also, needless to say I travel like a budget traveler.

Things have really changed since I visited the country in 1989, before the internet. There was a good mix of travelers but at a fraction of what you see now. I never had trouble finding a bunk in a hostel and nowhere seemed particularly crowded. Now, everything can fill up by 11 am and booking ahead is often necessary to insure a place to stay. Campgrounds can get packed but a single person with a small tent can always find something.

There are sooooo many Germans traveling New Zealand that a couple of times I’ve had to remind myself I’m in an English speaking country. There are lots of French as well. A French woman told me the reason so many Germans travel is because Germans don’t like Germany. A lot of Europeans, especially the younger ones, are gone for months at a time. It’s rare to see a middle aged American backpacking the way I do but there are Americans here and there. Usually they are a little older, traveling in groups or tours, staying at nicer hotels, and in the country for a short period of time.

I left Christchurch this morning after 4 nights. My room, that I had as a single, was with two beds. I wound up sharing my room late yesterday evening. A guy by the name of Claudia from Bologna, Italy showed up at the hostel at 8:30 Pm. All of Christchurch was booked and he had just arrived after a 44 hour trip to work at a winery for two months. I happened to be in the hostel office when he arrived and he hadn’t booked anything beforehand. He was relieved when I offered. Not only was he grateful but very nice as well.

This morning I took a bus to Akaroa on the Bank Peninsula east of Christchurch. From there I arranged for a pickup by the farm hostel I am camping at. It’s a funky place with a bit of a leftover hippy vibe and there are a number of choices for accommodation. There’s a main house with proper hostel set up and walk in campground,  with a a few buildings with bunks, commons areas, tent sites, and tent like buildings with clear windows above the bed for stargazing. From the hostel there are hiking trails and a rocky beach below. The area is absolutely beautiful but it does have a bit of an isolated feel despite plenty of other guests. I’m not sure I care for the feeling of isolation right now.

All things considered my time in New Zealand has been good but having to manage my issue with Meniere’s and vertigo has created a low grade background anxiety and I am not really comfortable doing things the way I normally would. I feel like I really need to make things a little easier than usual. Sleep and watching what I eat while avoiding alcohol and caffeine are very important in keeping vertigo at bay.

If you change one simple thing in your life other changes are bound to naturally change. I think it’s safe to say that I am in that transitional period. I love to travel but the other day I started thinking it would be nice to get back to work. It makes me think I might have bit off a little too much time this time around but I also know that feeling can come and go like the wind for me. It is interesting though how New Zealand was a part of my first big trip overseas in 1989. A lot has happened since then and in some ways it’s fitting that I wrap up whatever it is with this return trip that I’ve been meaning to do for years. I’ve posted comments about changing this, that, and whatever in my blog over the years. However, in reality little changed as I found myself back to doing whatever it was I was doing before I left. Usually within two weeks of arriving back home. Now, given my circumstance and health issue I have no choice but to adapt, manage, change.

No comments: