June 30, 2014

Notes From The Django Jazz Fest - France


Friday, June 27
Yesterday I hitched a ride into a large town with the Dutch couple I’m camped next to and loaded up on supplies. The pantry in my tent is fully stocked until Sunday. I never made it to the actual festival on Thursday because it looked like it was going to rain and I kept getting distracted. The festival includes five days of music and I figured I’d pay for two nights. Otherwise, you can hear the music perfectly in the village right outside the venue. The first night I could faintly see Pat Metheny perform thru the trees but could hear everything perfectly.

 I’ve been meeting all kinds of people from all over the place. I met a woman in the campground from Iran who is a classically trained violinist. We talked for quite a while about Iran. She said in Iran she can only perform underground. As a woman she is very limited as to how she can do her music. For example, a women singing is strictly forbidden. She and her husband come to the festival and Europe every year for a couple of months to try and make some money performing. She said living in Iran was like living under water and being in Europe was like coming up for air. So why stay in Iran? She says it’s her home and she still loves her country. I asked her about all the accusations of Iran trying to build a nuclear weapon. She said she really didn’t know anything about it and even if Iran ever had one they would never use it. She says the current administration is much better and stated that the country is really very safe but there are many rules.
The music around the campground has been quite phenomenal but last night was a lot livelier than Wednesday with the music going until 6am. I noticed some drunken guy yelling across the grounds at around 2 am. Remarkably, I’m sleeping through most of it with the help of ear plugs. 

Many of the guitar players appear to be Django Gypsy jazz junkies. After a while the choo choo train rhythms and quick wispy leads can be a bit much but it’s as if the players can’t get enough of it. Circles of jamming musicians form all over the campground. While most groups are very informal there seems to be a certain etiquette to playing with some of the more advanced musicians.   
The campground still has plenty of room and from what I can tell there’s never more than two employees, on site, for what must be the busiest week of the year.  The snack stand appears to be getting the most attention but I did see someone cleaning bathrooms this morning. People are just pulling in and setting up. The office looks empty. No one is checking to see if anyone has paid.

Maybe France is a pay optional country. So far I’ve ridden four trains and no one has checked my ticket. Anyone can walk on a train at any station. I’ve only seen one person actually working on a train and he was simply checking windows. There are no gates or anything requiring a ticket before boarding. Train tickets are expensive in France. I think it’s set up so the honest paying customers compensate for those who don’t pay.
Nonetheless, France is an absolutely beautiful country to visit this time of year. Maybe the French spend the rest of the year getting ready for summer then slack off until the fall.

 Monday, June 30
By time Sunday morning arrived I was ready to leave the scene by the Seine. Four nights of camping in Petit Barbeau with gypsy jazz going all the time had me a little tired out. Surprisingly, each night I got some decent sleep, if not enough, with the help of ear plugs and the good luck of picking a quieter location. The music, all acoustic, really did not bother me when sleeping but a few loud people did.

Overall, The Django Jazz Festival was great. The location and setting are beautiful. I paid to attend the actual festival on Friday and Saturday night. On Friday I witnessed some outrageous guitar playing within the gypsy jazz genre.  Saturday was a mix of Jazz styles with Snarky Puppy from Brooklyn putting up a great Jazz Rock Funk Set. The internationally acclaimed Grammy award winning Gipsy Kings closed out the evening. The downside to Saturday is that it rained all day and night. Still, the crowds turned out.
Saturday morning I rode into Fontainebleau with a British farmer and his son from Devon, England. They both play Gypsy Jazz guitar. With it being a rainy morning I saw it as a good chance to get out the campground. We visited the Chateau and I got a great laugh out of seeing an ornate fountain with dogs pissing. We toured around the exterior, grounds, chapel, and got some coffee.

Saturday afternoon I met a raspy voiced Louisiana Cajun blues man in his late 30’s. He came across as very friendly but a little rough around the edges. He said he was living in Romania and playing a nice gig at an American themed restaurant. With good pay, a legitimate contract, and a very low cost of living he was happy enough but explained how living there is weird. He had arrived at the festival with his girlfriend but she couldn’t take the camping thing so she left him for Paris. He couldn’t understand why she wouldn't like camping because she was a hippy. You could tell the situation with his lady friend was buggin him so meeting another American from a neighboring state gave him a chance to vent. In a rough straight talking uncouth sort of way he explained his side of the story and seemed to work it out in his head as he spoke. Based on what he said I told him I thought they each had different expectations. With that, he dropped the subject and starting talking about music related topics. I asked if he had his girlfriend’s festival pass. He said he did. I offered to buy admission for Saturday off him at a discounted rate. He was happy to give it to me for half price.
Needless to say there are many characters at the Django Festival, however, at camp Petit Barbeau hardly any were actual gypsy's. The real gypsy's have their own place somewhere else nearby for camping. There was one obvious gypsy camp in Petit Barbeau. They seemed pretty comfortable and well to do with a couple nice trailers and hosted a great group of musicians but the circle felt little closed. Call it social conditioning or whatever but I’m a little leery of gypsy’s in general.

I stayed all four nights at the campground without a problem. I paid for one night and was going to pay for the other three, however, a British group camped near me said they had pre-paid for two people who did not show up and that I could count as one of them since they were not going to get  a refund.
I packed up my wet camp Sunday morning and had hoped to hitch ride with someone form the festival to Lyon in route to the Alps. I wasn’t having any luck so I asked a Belgian couple leaving the campground if they would be willing to give me a ride to the train station. They were happy to help.

It was a about a 45 minute train ride to Paris where I got the opportunity to witness some fine French inefficiency at the Train station while waiting nearly an hour to purchase an overpriced ticket to Lyon. In Lyon I more or less dropped in on some friends I haven’t been in contact with for 3 years. I sent a couple of emails beforehand and just kind of turned up. Luckily my timing was good and it’s worked out well. I’m staying with my friend Frederic who owns and runs a Yoga Studio. Stephanie, another friend, just happened to be in town from the countryside and is staying at Fred’s studio. I met both of them through the European Yoga festival four years ago.
Today I walked around Lyon and purchased my ticket for Les Houches in the French Alps where I’ll meet up with my friend Debbie from the England and we will hike a 100 mile route around Mt Blanc call the Tour Du Mont Blanc. Hoping for Good Weather!




No comments: