May 13, 2014

Shalom From Tel Aviv!


Right about the time I’ve finished writing a post for today’s blog my computer crashed and threw it all away. The unfortunate thing is that it was one of those posts that flowed nicely and quickly. Why did the computer crash. Who knows? It’s frustrating to say the least. Yesterday’s challenges were greater though. I was locked out of my blog and the only way to get in was via a code sent to my cell phone packed away in a box back in Texas. Luckily my father was able to help me as I directed him via a Skype call. Needless to say my inspiration for a wit right now has been dampened due to technical difficulties.

I started my second day of Jet lag recovery with a run along the waterfront to the north. Yesterday I ran south to Yaffa. This was followed by a healthy lunch of lentil, couscous, and many veggies tossed before my eyes in a mix of olive oil and vinegar. It’s very easy to eat healthy in Israel. Middle East Mediterranean food sits well at a reasonable price.

I certainly picked a nice time to be in Tel Aviv. The weather is absolutely perfect and I’ve been drawn to spending most of my time on the beach. Tomorrow I plan to head up to Haifa but I could easily stay another night in Tel Aviv. I’ll see how I feel when the sun rises tomorrow.

Last night I wandered through some of the more trendy popular areas where bars were packed with a younger crowd even though it was a Monday night. Israeli's appear to be very social amongst one another. I suppose it’s the mandatory military service and unique situation is which they live. Most travel for a year or two after serving two years in the military. Military comes right after high school. In general they seem to have a pretty broad world view. Tonight I’ll join a group of local travelers at a bar via the website “Couchsurfing”. It’s kind of an underground social network for meeting and hosting like minded traveling folks..

No comments: