August 30, 2013

Tokyo, Japan - Back In Action


My trip had already been delayed by a month due to personal issues but I was actually on my way to the airport. In the days preceding my departure I had been sidetracked by a myriad of distractions laced with indecision which had me feeling very unsettled. Normally when I leave to go overseas there’s an element of anticipation and excitement but this time it seemed to be lacking. I questioned my intentions. However, I know myself pretty well. Experience has taught me that once the ball gets rolling perspective changes. More than anything I just needed to get away.

Although I packed the standard usual pack it seemed heavier and more cumbersome. When I put it on the scale at baggage check the total weight came out to 35 pounds. Not bad actually when you consider camping gear, laptop, and the stupidly heavy Lonely Planet guide book. Even though my pack provides me with all of the above for options I know I can travel the world on half the weight. I boarded the plane like a distracted driver on cruise control.

The flight was long but 13 hours direct from Houston to Tokyo is as good as it gets if you’re traveling to Asia from Texas. The only thing that could make it any better would be flying First Class. I watched “The Life of Pi” on the flight over and thought it was an excellent movie. It gave me a hint of inspiration.

I think it was when the flight attendant starting passing out entry and customs cards that I started to feel a little more normal. Once I de-boarded and cleared customs I felt even better. I then hit the ATM, got some Yen, and asked a guy at tourist information where bus stop 31 was. The bus driver barely spoke English and everything was in Japanese. I had just arrived in a country I hadn’t been to but with a familiarity that comes with having been to many foreign places. It was then that I started feeling like my old self.

The bus dropped me at Tokyo station. From there I could take the subway but I figured a walk would be best from my jet lag. Thankfully I brought a map that I didn’t think I’d need and found my way to my accommodation with little difficulty.

The manager was expecting me and spoke decent English. He explained the building, showed me the laundry facilities (which are free) and my accommodation which is actually a small studio apartment with bathroom, refrigerator and basic cooking supplies. It’s located in a narrow nine story building in a residential like, quieter part of Tokyo. I found it on Hotels.com of all places and the reviews were pretty good. Especially at a rate that comes out to $50 USD a night. The bed is clean and firm but comfy. An easy 10 minute walk gets me to a Subway that can shuttle me anywhere within a city of 13 million people.

This will be a relatively short journey this time around. 3 weeks in Japan. For some it may seem like a long trip. For me, 3 weeks is just about the amount of time I start to feel like I’m really getting into it. That’s when travel starts to become a lifestyle and the word "Home" takes on a different meaning. Well, at any rate it's good to be back in action. I can't believe it's already been a year and a half since I've traveled outside of the states.

No comments: