August 6, 2013

Is The Heat Getting To Me?

Galveston, Texas












Houston is damn hot right now. I am being harshly reminded why I normally flee the Bayou City during the summer. Daytime highs in upper 90’s, overnight lows in the 70’s and heat indexes upwards of a 110. The best option for dealing with the heat besides hanging out with a good air conditioner is to drive to Galveston and enjoy the breeze off the Gulf of Mexico. From where I live it's an easy one hour drive.

When I trotted through this morning’s six mile run I felt slower than usual but know better than to push too hard in the heat. As my Asics Gel Cumulus 14 running shoes tap the pavement in rhythm to a ringing in my ears, that’s been giving me fits for the past month, a song goes round and round through my head. It’s an instrumental tune that I have never heard before. I am certain the heat is the culprit. It’s a catchy rhythm. Words start to form a repetitions chorus, “I’ve been all over the place but I haven’t gotten anywhere”.

Life through my Maui Jim rose colored sunglasses is starting to look a little different. Perhaps it’s snapping open a grouping of synapses that have been lying dormant in the storage shed of “Someday I’ll get to it”. Or, has the continuing holding pattern of circumstance forced me to take pause and consider a different cookie in the jar.

I look at people the same age as me and think there’s no way we are the same age. I’m not that old! I remember an idea I was going to act upon yesterday and realize yesterday was 5, 10, or 20 years ago. I see a friend’s family photo on Facebook and stop as I realize that the cute young girl is not a buddy’s middle age fling but his daughter who’s just finished University.

I’ve been accused of not realizing how old I am. I guess not having taken the corporate professional route, never being married and avoiding the whole kid and family thing has me living like a 29 year old. However, when I look at what’s going on in the 20 something reality I definitely feel my age. I’ll never understand tattoos and piercings or texting someone in the same room. When I have a problem with someone I always prefer to take up the issue in person and regret it when I don’t. Now the young folks don’t know how to talk in person. Young employees quit jobs via text message and go around misunderstanding each other all over the place while splattering it all over social media. Most of all I absolutely and totally don’t get the fascination with Zombies.

All in all things are ok. At least I think so. However, I find my new found fascination with Jackson Pollock’s work to a bit odd. I should be in Japan right now on an excursion for 3 to 4 weeks struggling with language difficulties, eating odd foods, and living up to my “World Traveler and Thinker” persona which has been steadily fading over the last year. Instead of leaving as planned I postponed my departure with an option of canceling.

An issue with my right ear continues my holding pattern status. Although annoying it appears to be nothing serious and simply something that has to be managed. The ear Doc says I’m fine to fly and I passed my recent annual exam with a capitol H for healthy. A spiritual but not religious gluten free vegan friend rattled off a number of suggestions pertaining to the ear issue and finished her advice with, “What is it you’re not wanting to hear”. I responded with, “That’s interesting”.

No comments: