June 4, 2012

An Afternoon Note

It’s been a year or so since I’ve fallen ill with anything but the last week has hit me pretty hard with a pesky cold. I think all of the running around for work coupled with a dose of burnout got me down. I really am tired of my current situation even though I really have nothing to complain about. I just need a change. The kind of change I’ve mentioned and have been intending to make over the last 3 years or so. I’m just not sure how to go about it.

With no real plan or direction I figure I’ll be on my way to somewhere in a two or three weeks. That’s the plan. Between now and then I’ll tend to car maintenance, dentist, bills, etc. etc……

At this moment I’m sitting at Antidote with a stuffy head and a shot of caffeine. A woman just sat down across from me in a low cut dress with “Feminist” tattooed across her chest. I have a hard time understanding the tattoo culture. I guess if a person is certain they are always going to think the same and never change then a tattoo is probably ok.

I’d say a bit a travel, especially some hiking/walking, would be good for me right now. But just for a little while. I’m considering the idea of a change in my approach towards the way I make a living. My current method isn’t really getting me anywhere beyond the parameters of what I’ve already done/accomplished. My approach is carefree but kind of limiting in certain regards. I swing from one extreme to another in what has become a predictable fashion.

Aside of a two month stint at a Nordic Center in upstate New York I have not worked for anyone but myself since the summer of 2004. Hard to believe it’s been 8 years already! The crux for me is that I don’t want a Mon-Fri 9-5 with a 2 week vacation. I think a steady predictable routine would drive me nutz. I’m also not too crazy about working for anyone else.

All said, I’ll probably hop a plane overseas and put off making any real decisions for the time being. That’s generally the pattern I enjoy falling back into. I always feel like I'm moving forward when I'm out and about but eventually I find myself returning back to where I started. It's the picking up where I left off that's getting me nowhere.

No comments: